[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hola, sci. I'm finishing up undergrad within the next year,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Feynman Path.jpg (34 KB, 768x464) Image search: [Google]
Feynman Path.jpg
34 KB, 768x464
Hola, sci. I'm finishing up undergrad within the next year, and I want to know what, in your opinion, are some courses I shouldn't leave without taking. My interests include Physics, CS and Math. I want to more know about amazing courses that would also lead to employable skills in industry. So what's the word?
>>
take complex variables, a quantum mechanics class, an upper level statistics class
>>
Linear systems, Digital Signal Processing and Random Signal Variables to leave your plebeian understanding of your surroundings. If you have to choose one go DSP.

Machine learning is also pretty cool if your universty offers an acceptable one, none of that coursera bullshit, it can have more than enough rigor.
>>
>>8122027
You said you a finishing undergrad but that doesnt tell me anything. What is your main focus and what level of courses did you take for physics, math, and CS?
>>
>>8122027
Stat mech is incredibly useful in industry, and you will be able to use computers a lot for that.
>>
classical mechanics
the principle of least action is really pretty and opens the door to quantum mechanics
>>
>>8122375
That is one lectures worth of material if you have the prerequisite maths.
>>
Machine learning
>>
quantum field theory, general relativity, string theory and number theory. very useful in industry.
>>
>>8122387
it's not
>>
>>8122027
Physics: Junior/Senior Experimental Physics Labs, research with a professor
CS: Take graduate courses or just self study it. Undergrad material isn't worth your tuition money.
Math: Complex Variables, PDEs, Probability Theory, Numerical Analysis, Mathematical Optimization
>>
I'm a physics major and am focused towards computational physics.

I have taken all of the usual physics courses for under grad (stat mech, quantum, e&m) all at upper division level, plus computational physics courses (using C and Mathematica).

I'm interested in computer modeling and am considering a career in quant finance (more on the trader side than the developler side). I need one more course in quantum, other than that I'm free to play for the rest of my degree.

I'm currently planning on taking a machine learning course series in the CS department. I'm additionally going to attempt a graduate course in stochastic DE's, but am week on the analysis side of things (in the sense that I haven't taken the courses). I'm also interested in taking courses in the Masters of Finance program but I'm not sure they'll let me even audit.

I mostly wanted to know what you guys thought was cool, and not tinge it with my major or intentions.

Thank a bunch for the advice so far!
>>
>>8122027
computational physics
statistical mechanics
something on combinatorics

not necessarily useful, but cool af imo:
group theory
as much as you can muster
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.