[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the universe is somehow a simulation then how am I conscious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: simulation.jpg (90 KB, 632x356) Image search: [Google]
simulation.jpg
90 KB, 632x356
If the universe is somehow a simulation then how am I conscious and self aware? This concept of being simulated is a long known idea to me yet still confusing, sort of disturbing also.
>>
Even Brian Greene said it: everything is made up of information.
>>
File: 20100901130453-1_0.jpg (175 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
20100901130453-1_0.jpg
175 KB, 400x350
>>8120869
Also, Sylvester James Gates says the universe is a program like that of an internet browser.
>>
>>8120869
>>8120883
Also, words with multiple meanings and analogies are hard for the general public consumers of pop sci to grasp.

>>8120855
Unfalsifiable. Consciousness and self-awareness can be possible either way. It's only disturbing because humans have a tendency to worry about irrational shit - the same reason you may have at some point in your life felt uncomfortable at the scale of the universe or something along those lines. It clearly isn't making any impact in our lives. I suppose you could claim it debunks afterlife, but afterlife could be simulated, so that's not really true.
>>
There is no direct contradiction between the universe being a simulation and you being consciousness.
Explain how there is a mathematical contradiction or statement literally doesn't make any logical sense.
>>
>>8120903
A simulation of afterlife is meaningless. You'll have to prove the existence of a soul, or solidily establish some other form of consciousness continuity first before claiming that it's possible for persons to not only have the same unique identity at different points in time, but continue to have this identity after disintegration of the brain.
>>
>>8120869
The fuck does that mean? Information doesn't exist outside consciousness, so every atom and structure of atoms must be conscious then.
>>
File: wheeler.png (36 KB, 650x350) Image search: [Google]
wheeler.png
36 KB, 650x350
>>8120855
I channeled Wheeler's ghost.
>>
How to be sure to be "conscious and self aware" ?
>>
>>8120855
>If the universe is somehow a simulation then how am I conscious and self aware?

If the universe is *not* a simulation, then how are you conscious and self aware?
>>
Not /sci/, nothing to do with science.
>>
I really wish people like Musk who don't know shit about AI and other related topics would keep their mouths shut. It's so obvious he says this to stay in the public spotlight and the "muh singularity" types buy into all his bullshit.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.