[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I did some pointless thinking about randomness and order, how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: bodywalk.png (40 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
bodywalk.png
40 KB, 960x540
I did some pointless thinking about randomness and order, how it fits in with our universe, and possible explanations on the origins of said universe. I will just post them here because I really want counter points if anyone has them... well... from people who have a better understanding.
>>
File: bodystand.png (37 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
bodystand.png
37 KB, 960x540
Life was 100% destined to happen mathmatically, and, depending on the existence of a real "free will", possibly beyond.

Let me use an example:

I have a billards table and on that table I have 23 billard balls. If I hit one ball (assuming no one reaches over and interferres) it will bounce off
of other balls, which will bounce off others, and so on. If I sat down and knew the exact physical properties of the environment, the balls, the force
in which the initial ball moved, etc. etc. I could, with enough time and energy, calculate exactly where the balls would end up at any given moment, which
balls would hit which, hard hard they would hit, and eventually even the end. I could, in fact, calculate the future as long as I hit the initial ball EXACTLY
the way I calculated for. The rest, after that, would not be random.

Multiply that... keep multiplying until you give up and then some more, you now have the ability to calculate from the moment the Big Bang happened until life
presented itself. Each atom bouncing around, colliding, merging, breaking, etc as physics would have dictated, eventually forming larger objects that physics
would dictate and the movements and collisions that came with that. On and on. Because each was not random nor had any capability of being random. Each performed
exactly the way it would be expected.
>>
File: head.png (19 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
head.png
19 KB, 960x540
Why life and WHAT life?

Because, assuming that any form of life has any real ability to act randomly, EVER, you could no longer calculate 100% accurately. This is not saying that any life
does, but until something that is really random enters the scene you could, in theory, calculate infinitely and determine the outcomes. As long as you could
calculate before hand or faster than the events. If no form of life can act randomly (what I will call "free will") you could calculate on and on until "the end".

At this moment, Earth life would be the 100% meaning of life. As we have no knowledge of any life anywhere else. If new life is discovered, depending on if it
had any effect on Earth life or not before Earth life came to be, Earth life would still be included. If another life form had ANY hand in Earth life coming to be
then Earth life could very well NOT be included in this 100% group. Of course, if life does not possess any ability to be truly random, it matters not what life nor
when.

So far, I hope you are with me.

If anything in this universe has the power, at the moment, to behave randomly it would be life. I am not saying it can, but if it can... just once.. that one point
becomes the point in which 100% ceases to exist.

With that out of the way, I MUST touch on the bigger question. If nothing from the point of the beginning until the emergence of life, or after, was random then it
makes sense that the beginning would not have been random. It is hard to imagine that one random event would create nothing but order on such a massive scale for such
a massive time.
>>
File: untitled.png (49 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
49 KB, 960x540
IF Life can be truly random:

I am using this a lot, I know. I use this because, despite what we know, we BELIEVE life can act outside of predictability. We WANT life to have just one kernel of
governence over its actions that is not pre-determined. Who am I to say NO? If we do then we are more special than anything that can ever be created. We have a "soul"
of sorts that allows us to behave in ways unpredictable by anything else. With that comes a purpose. Not for us, perhaps, but a purpose. An event that was destined to
create randomness from pure order would not be an event to take lightly, and could have very possibly happened for that exact reason. (Yes, I am touching on
a creator or creators, etc. and I will at other points in this.) We could be mere scientific observations, exist to populate a multiverse (something that would not exist
without randomness), simply be a dimensional random number generator.

IF Life can not be random:

So far, as far as my knowledge goes, nothing is random. We act in a way that is predictable if you take in account all of the existing variables. Therefore, I was
destined to write this. Which means we follow the rules set forth by our universe, we can accomplish our same thoughts and feelings, observations and behaviors
with extremely advanced AI. Which is pretty much what we are. This would go a long way in showing that we are perhaps a simulation, perhaps for an advanced being
that simply wants to play with something. Life could be just the next building block on the way to randomness, or a purpose, first the big bang... then life... then
[insert next step here] and so on until the purpose is achieved. The same way in which we build circuits to build devices to build software to build AI. We do as
expected and eventually we will have the desired results.
>>
>>8119116
You seem to think the universe is classical.

This ain't possible in a quantum universe due to quantum indeterminism.

Also, even in a classical universe, to calculate the phase space evolution of it, you'd need to run it much slower than the actual processes, or have a computer the size of the universe.
>>
I understand that in order to calculate the phase space evolution of the universe at a 1:1 rate you would need a computer that had the exact power of the entire universe, and to calculate it faster than that you would need more than possible making it impossible for us to do. I never said we could in reality, I was pointing out that it is possible outside the confines of our universe but using the rules set forth within it.

I wasn't asking WHY we don't calculate this, nor suggesting we try. You may have missed the point or I did not make it clear.
>>
>>8119132

Uncertainty isn't a quantum effect, by the way. Fucked up position-momenta commutators fall out of Hamiltonian mechanics by default.
>>
Also, are you trying to blow the way things function on a quantum level up to apply to this?
>>
>>8119143
All observables commute in classical mechanics mate... Don't think you understand it?

>>8119138
No. Quantum mechanics to the best of our knowledge is indeterministic. We can guess at the probabilities of eigenstate collapse on measurement of some superposition, but we can never know for certain, two identical set ups can evolve completely differently.
>>
>>8119117
We could, but we cant.
Our understanding just doesn't have the time to even begin calculating the first seconds of the universe.
Time is bullshit.
>>
>>8119165

{x, p} = 1
>>
>Life was 100% destined to happen mathmatically, and, depending on the existence of a real "free will", possibly beyond.

Stopped reading there
>>
>>8119244
>I don't know what a poisson bracket is
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.