[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck do professors think this is appropriate for a solution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: why.png (5 KB, 273x62) Image search: [Google]
why.png
5 KB, 273x62
Why the fuck do professors think this is appropriate for a solution to a problem? Like what the fucking fuck.
>>
>>8119013
Everyone look out guys, OP's been asked to "work".
>>
>>8119017
>being autistic is called working.
>>
>>8119020
What about it?
Just get used to it, we had to fucking do brainless euclides algorithm when doing diofantique equations in our head.
>>
>>8119022
I'm fine with doing linear, but I'm not fine with doing Laplace transforms on 4 different equations with 4 unknowns and having to solve the linear algebra by hand because my calculator doesn't support having a s variable in its matrix solver...only to have the homework server reject me because I'm off by a decimal on a 12 digit number.

Fucking AIDS.
>>
>>8119032
There is a wonderful matrix solver in SciPy and Matlab, why not use those?
>>
>>8119042
BUt yeah, i can feel you fucking proffessors get their dicks hard by failing students for stupid shit like 1 decimal number missing....
>>
>>8119042
I'm learning Matlab right now, do I need to specify to it that I'm using a Laplace variable?

I still need to do it by hand on the final though...
>>
>>8119047
Shit is never this ugly on the final. I did all of the ugly problems on a computer and I ended up with a 100% on every exam in my class (averages were about 60%). Problems that ugly are too long for an exam.
>>
>>8119032
Oh, you're still an undergrad?
Yeah, fuck off. You do menial work. You haven't earned the right to complain yet.
>>
>>8119032
> only to have the homework server reject me because I'm off by a decimal on a 12 digit number.
Have you considered the possibility that the lecturer is trying to weed out morons who just plug shit into a computer then parrot whatever answer the computer spits out?
>>
>>8119032
Just so you know, you can check your answers pretty easily before submitting them.
>>
>>8119032
>What is a computer?
>>
>>8119013
>a ratio of two polynomials, factored as much as possible (over the reals)

OP, you're literally being spoon-fed you faggot.
>>
>>8119653
With integer coefficients and of low degree, even. It's hard to imagine a much nicer solution.
>>
>>8119347
Shut the fuck up. Get out of your fucking ass and realize undergrad is hard for some people. Who gives a shit about what other people complain about.
>>
>>8119032
>>8119047
If you're at the stage of your studies where you're doing laplace transforms, regardless of whether you are studying math, physics or elec engi, professors expect you to know how to at least use MATLAB/octave/scipy whatever at a beginner level. learning matlab is definitely a step in the right direction, so keep doing that.

And also to answer your question, it will depend on what you are trying to do. Obviously if you just type in something like sysmon s, it will not be recognised as something in the s-domain (afaik for matlab anyways).

As for exams, they will either be much simpler to solve (in terms of computation, not analytically or conceptually), or the solution will be tedious but it will be worth a decent number of marks so it's not too bad.

in my intro systems course, the proff actively encouraged computer methods for assignments. used to have a good kek at everyone who did 30+ lines of tedious working by hand and then typed it up in latex, when all they had to do was put in ~10 lines of code to demonstrate the same level of problem solving and get the same marks
>>
>>8119760
haha sorry. not sysmon
syms
>>
>>8119013
Is there a missing s in the middle of the denominator, or is it actually supposed to contain the sum of two integers?
>>
>>8119826
Assuming that there's supposed to be an s, the partial fraction expansion is:

Vo(s) = 275/s - 125*(s+625)/((s+625)^2 + 625^2) - 100*625/((s+625)^2 + 625^2)
= 25*(11*1/s - 5*(s+α)/((s+α)^2 + ω^2) - 4*ω/((s+α)^2 + ω^2))
with α = ω = 625.

The first (1/s) term is a unit step, the second is e^(-αt)*cos(ωt), the third is e^(-αt)*sin(ωt).

I.e. v0(t) = 25*(11*u(t) + e^(-αt)*(4*sin(ωt) - 5*cos(ωt))
>>
>>8119022
>Back in my day maths was way harder when we had to enscribe our workings on stone tablets and learned pythagoras theorum at our second year of university
Just stop.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.