[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey civil engineer fags and structural scientists, can this be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Titan of Braavos.jpg (232 KB, 1920x1072) Image search: [Google]
Titan of Braavos.jpg
232 KB, 1920x1072
Hey civil engineer fags and structural scientists, can this be constructed with medieval technology? How long can it stands after being built with such technology? 1 year? 2 years?
>>
Depends if dragons can be used to forge the statute.
>>
Bronze Age Greeks did it in real life.
>>
>>8118904
No they did not.
>>
>>8118904
No. No they didn't. Vast difference in scale.
>>
File: Colosse_de_Rhodes_(Barclay)[1].jpg (226 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Colosse_de_Rhodes_(Barclay)[1].jpg
226 KB, 600x900
>>8118904
Colossus of Rhodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_of_Rhodes

>The Colossus of Rhodes /roʊdz/ (Ancient Greek: ὁ Κολοσσὸς Ῥόδιος ho Kolossòs Rhódios)[1] was a statue of the Greek titan-god of the sun Helios, erected in the city of Rhodes, on the Greek island of the same name, by Chares of Lindos in 280 BC. One of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, it was constructed to celebrate Rhodes' victory over the ruler of Cyprus, Antigonus I Monophthalmus, whose son unsuccessfully besieged Rhodes in 305 BC. Before its destruction in the earthquake of 226 BC, the Colossus of Rhodes stood over 30 metres (98 feet) high,[2] making it one of the tallest statues of the ancient world.[3]

>The statue stood for 54 years until Rhodes was hit by the 226 BC earthquake, when significant damage was also done to large portions of the city, including the harbour and commercial buildings, which were destroyed.[9] The statue snapped at the knees and fell over onto the land. Ptolemy III offered to pay for the reconstruction of the statue, but the oracle of Delphi made the Rhodians afraid that they had offended Helios, and they declined to rebuild it.

>The remains lay on the ground as described by Strabo (xiv.2.5) for over 800 years, and even broken, they were so impressive that many travelled to see them. Pliny the Elder remarked that few people could wrap their arms around the fallen thumb and that each of its fingers was larger than most statues.[10]

>In 653, an Arab force under Muslim caliph Muawiyah I captured Rhodes, and according to The Chronicle of Theophanes the Confessor,[11] the statue was cast down and sold to a Jewish merchant of Edessa who loaded the bronze on 900 camels.[12] The Arab destruction and the purported sale to a Jew possibly originated as a powerful metaphor for Nebuchadnezzar's dream of the destruction of a great statue.[13]
>>
>>8118961
whoever drew the pic forgot the cape connected to the platform, the 2 legs and the cape acted as a tripod to hold the weight of the rest of the statue.
>>
>>8118961
Look at the size of that (98 feet). Now look at the size and positioning of the statue in the OP pic. Now tell me that the two are structurally comparable. I'll wait.
>>
>>8118871
Go back to /tv/
>>
The problem is, in this universe,magic is a thing that explicitly exists. They have dragons, and magically-enhanced swords that cannot become dull. They probably simply used magic on it so it was strong enough to not collapse.
>>
>>8118961
>sold to a jewish merchant

/pol/ is always right
>>
>>8118871
Motherfucker why couldn't you have posted the fucking Rhodes colossus and we might've had an intelligent discussion?

>Hey guys lets jack over all this fake fantasy shit that is vaguely based on far more interesting shit that actually fucking happened!
>>
>>8118961
>Europeans build it.
>Muslims destroy it.
>Jews profit from it.

Seems about right.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.