[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a branch of mathematics/physics that deals specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1858.png (15 KB, 487x232) Image search: [Google]
1858.png
15 KB, 487x232
Is there a branch of mathematics/physics that deals specifically with waves? I've been really interested in pretty much everything involved with waves, and I'm wondering if there is some area of study in academia that I could hone in on for graduate school / further education
>>
>>8115395
Fourier/Harmonic Analysis
Digital Signal Processing
>>
>>8115395
fourier analysis
>>
>>8115395
Signals and shit senpai.
>>
>>8115395
signal processing.

any physics.
>>
quantum physics is based on waveforms
>>
>>8115395
Harmonic analysis
>>
>>8115395
Signal processing, LTI systems, Fourier analysis, Wavelet analysis, etc.

Once you know about the Fourier transform, everything becomes a superposition of sine/cosine waves. Once you understand that these are just eigenfunctions of linear operators, you can look at other domains through the same lens...
>>
>>8115395
Trigonometry.
>>
File: 9 PROOF READ 9.jpg (365 KB, 800x376) Image search: [Google]
9 PROOF READ 9.jpg
365 KB, 800x376
vortex math :^)
>>
>>8115395
the branch belongs to EE/CompE -> digital signal processing, random signal processing
>>
>>8115395

analog EE
>>
>>8115395
surfing
>>
Modern Optics and Interferometry are centered around wave analysis.
>>
File: microwave-cloaking-device_48.jpg (21 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
microwave-cloaking-device_48.jpg
21 KB, 425x282
>>8115395
Metamaterials are hot shit right now.

The way waves propagate is determined by their nature and the way they interact with relevant material properties. Bulk material properties seen in nature only occupy a subset of the theoretically available bulk material properties out there. Recently people have been designing materials that have properties that fill out the rest of the theoretical possibilities.

The key is to design a structure that is significantly smaller than the wavelength of wave you are wanting to manipulate (rule of thumb says ~10 times smaller than your wave). You can design small novel structures that, when viewed by the wave, appear as a continuum, such that devices can be engineered using good old wave analysis, but now with access to hitherto unavailable material properties.

The possibilities are exploding right now. Metamaterial design philosophy is giving unprecedented design power to engineers, from superlenes (kinda bullshit), beamforming to make cell towers and inductive battery chargers more efficient, sat-com uplinks that will be on everyone's car in 15 years, all the way to the now famous (2D) microwave cloaking device.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.