[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good textbook to use as an intro to physics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 51emVZ-Xa0L.jpg (41 KB, 310x500) Image search: [Google]
51emVZ-Xa0L.jpg
41 KB, 310x500
Is this a good textbook to use as an intro to physics?
>>
>>8113955
>Vol1 (March 25, 2014)
>Vol2 (July 19, 2016)

I doubt there are many schools that adopted it before the full sequence was released. Even the Yale course it's based off of uses another book.
>>
>>8113975
r u telling me it's shite?
>>
bamp
>>
Years ago I liked [math]Physics: For Scientists and Engineers[/math] by Knight. I used to tutor, saw all the other undergrad books, and nearly vomited. This was a good intro book that has solid organization and covers a lot of ground.
>>
>>8114566
you talking bout the op's pic or physics: for scientist and engineers?
>>
>>8114569
Knight's book is good. The other text I saw at the time were awful. I still have my Knight, but haven't opened it since freshmen year in college.
>>
>>8113955
Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick, Halliday, Walker is a better one. Just remember - after you have learnt this stuff, you will never look back to it. If you want something a little tougher, get the Feynman lectures. You'll use those repeatedly even after you've covered the topics.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (15 KB, 253x400) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
15 KB, 253x400
is this a good intro to chem?
>>
>>8114696
>Pauling

Yeah, if you want to learn from a fucking nutbag who thought vitamin c could cure cancer
>>
>>8114711
so memeing aside?
>>
>>8113955
It's basically a transcript of his lectures. Not at all bad, but more of a supplement imo. A better textbook would be something with some examples like Giancoli or Resnick, Halliday (+maybe Krane/Walker).
>>
File: IMG_2365.jpg (133 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2365.jpg
133 KB, 640x960
>>8114696

Can confirm that this was a pretty based read, however, it is constructed more so as merger of physics and chemistry into a single literature, rather than the standard 'chemistry only' intro you might get from a modern college textbook.The book explains chemical properties, interactions, and phenomena from an in-depth physical and sometimes quantum understanding, avoiding the standard watered-down commentary seen in many modern chemistry texts.

Much of the first edition is outdated, however, I believe there is a much more accurate and refined, but somewhat rare 3rd edition. Overall I would say that this is one of the best literatures to learn intro chemistry from, and I still often refer to it from time to time.

>>8114711
This did not impact the quality or tier of his written work, and therefore your opinion can be discarded
>>
>>8115288
It's pretty good. Would recommend it as a supplement to a more modern textbook like Brown or Oxtoby tho.
>>
>>8115337
if i read OP's book do you have any idea what textbook would help me go further?
>>
>>8115428
Oxtoby if you know basic calculus and physics and Brown if you know algebra. Both give you roughly the same content.
>>
>>8115488
i meant for physics, like after OP's pic
>>
>>8115528
i must know
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.