[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>supervisor passes me a paper to look at >it's by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Terence-Tao-web.jpg (125 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
Terence-Tao-web.jpg
125 KB, 540x360
>supervisor passes me a paper to look at
>it's by a frequent collaborator of Terry's
>one in a series of papers done by the two
>citations are almost all papers in which they've coauthored

>supervisor wants me to read and digest all the papers by the end of the week
>he wants to start looking at potential adjustments or optimizations with their work

Just senpai my up fuck, shit. I didn't even know Terry did work in this subfield, but I guess he's literally fucking everywhere.
>>
name of paper?
>>
>>8113311
here's one of them, you can probably find the rest through references and authors

https://arxiv.org/abs/math/0502327
>>
>>8113308
Sounds Terry-ible
>>
>>8113308

Send this to your supervisor
>>
>>8113321
He's literally asking

>I need you to improve the work of a Fields medallist
>>
File: 1434243262738.jpg (14 KB, 267x181) Image search: [Google]
1434243262738.jpg
14 KB, 267x181
>>8113334
>>8113328
>>8113325

(I mean, to be fair, the emphasis is on adjustments and seeing what happens in different conditions, but still, fuck my shit up. I'm not even in pure math, some of the tools used are beyond me.)
>>
You're wasting his time and should probably drop out of school
>>
>>8113308
Another troll polluting the forum.
>>
>>8113308
how does it feel to know that your contributions to the field over several years will be less than what Terry could knock out during one lunch break?
>>
If you are this unsecure why did you even go to graduate school?
>>
>>8113678
Makes me wanna fucking KILL myself!! That's it!! Yeah!!!
>>
>>8113308
Where are you in your mathematics education?

How many years of grad school I mean?
>>
>>8113678
Pretty much true for all of us.
Seriously. I've wondered how many of the problems I've worked on and formulated that someone like Terry of Erdos could have knocked out in a couple hours.
>>
Fuck gifted people. It's just """"God"""""given. No amount of hard work will ever get you even close to what they can do in their sleep.
>>
>>8113906
https://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/does-one-have-to-be-a-genius-to-do-maths/

https://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/work-hard/q
>>
>>8113921
yeah it's easy to say that
>>
>>8113921
>>https://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/does-one-have-to-be-a-genius-to-do-maths/
A genius telling that I do not need to be a genius to do math.

this guy is typically lacking of reflexivity
>>
>>8113334
>ZOMG!!!1!! He's a fields medalist that must mean all his work is flawless, beyond reproach and completely inaccessible to us mortals.

This type of sycophancy makes me sick. Stop posting on 4chan and get to work you irredeemable faggot.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.