[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens when fossil fuels run out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 27
File: time_machine.jpg (94 KB, 560x843) Image search: [Google]
time_machine.jpg
94 KB, 560x843
What happens when fossil fuels run out?
>>
>>8113195
We find a way to survive without it.
>>
>>8113198
Or not.
>>
>>8113195
Kill off fat people and make fuel from their blubber
>>
File: Tfw.png (35 KB, 200x170) Image search: [Google]
Tfw.png
35 KB, 200x170
>>8113195
>fossil fuels run out
>memes go up
>mass revolution
>pepes sold on the black market
>people realise that they can burn pepes for energon
>pepes fought for by two political factions
>meme lovers and meme burners
>ww3
>annhailation
>tfw all I wanted was an anime catgirl waifu
>>
you better hope we never run out of oil.

it isn't just drilled for energy. refined oil products support basically the entire economy.

there will be famine because no fertilizer, herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides to grow food. No plastics or adhesives to package the food and prevent spoilage.
>>
>>8113195
We go back to mars
>>
>>8113422
Ooooooops
Wasn't supposed to reveal our illuminati secrets
Ooooooops wasn't supposed to tell everyone about illuminati
I'm a dead man
>>
>>8113195
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqMj3E94BK0
>>
>>8113435
Wow, that is the most informative movie on the subject of peak oil and the problem of our lifestyle I never thought of before.

Thanks for posting that me.

You're welcome me, I hope you learned a lot from it.
>>
We synthesize our own using non-petroleum feedstocks.
>>8113241
Petroleum isn't the only way of producing these products; it's just the cheapest. There are plenty of alternatives, there's just no reason to pay for them right now with petroleum as cheap and available as it is.
>no fertilizer
This is a major potential problem, but not because of petroleum scarcity. Guano has already been depleted and phosphate rock is currently a crucial fertilizer feedstock with no viable substitute, and it's projected to be depleted within a century or two.
>>
>>8113195
Not much.
Before they actually run out. The cost of obtaining fossil fuels would have become so expensive that getting energy from other sources has become cheaper.
>>
>>8113740

Do you know that we currently use coal-fired power plants to obtain the necessary energy to make solar photovoltaic panels?

You guys need to be sure to have a reliable hydroelectric plant near the place you're living right now.
>>
>>8113716
>alternatives

ah, good luck finding them all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrochemical#Petrochemicals_products
>>
>>8113842
Or just build a lot of wind farms in the 500 years we have before the coal runs out.
>>
>>8113435
>>8113680
Tell you thanks from me!

But also don't be a smartass next time.
>>
desperation forces countries to take up nuclear as an option

everything is saved and the anti nuclear cucks are blown the fuck off the planet
>>
>>8113435
>>8113878
Actually, having watched it, by all means keep being a smartass
>>
>>8113896
>tfw it's too late for Thorium
just end my life senpai
>>
>>8113195
The consequences on the Earth's climate of burning all the available fossil fuels on would be horrifying.
>>
File: _81454910_solar_impulse_624in.jpg (58 KB, 624x580) Image search: [Google]
_81454910_solar_impulse_624in.jpg
58 KB, 624x580
>>8113195

Air travel/combat, large shipping vessels, rockets, etc. would have to be totally re-imagined or abandoned.

We can make cars run off electricity from renewable sources already, but it's gonna be a pain to figure out how to fly a super sonic f-35 or a 170,000 kg 787 without jet fuel.
>>
>>8114320
For military uses, I could see the use of synthetic liquid fuels as feasible. Commercial air travel would be limited to those willing to pay large amounts though.
>>
Oil will become uneconomically expensive long before it runs out.
>>
>>8113425
Wat
>>
>>8114208
Yes the puzzle we have before us, is to stop using fossils fuels before they run out. If we cannot get over our shortsightedness enough to do that, then it's not going to matter. We're not going to make it.
>>
>>8113195
gg no re
>>
>>8114320
>large shipping vessels

But we already have big boats powered with nuke energy.
>>
>>8114425 It's quite straightforward though?
>>
>retards who think it wouldn't be a gradual weaning off oil and replacement by other energy sources

end of da wurld
>>
>>8114554

Prices will be so high that making a war to get oil from your neighbour countries will be cheaper than legally buying it.

Every international treaty will be ignored.

The only countries that can survive will be those that have both oil and the military power to defend it.
>>
>>8114479

You can build them because you still have cheap energy; in the future your only option will be sailboats.
>>
>>8113195
the solar panel industry booms

we panel up our homes and gather energy during the day.

then we wake up and shit post all night long.
>>
>>8113863
There is essentially nothing in most of Nebraska and the it's one of the windiest states.
>>
>>8114674
>implying people would not see this decline encroaching and build nuclear shipping vessels and ships before the fall.
>>
>>8113847
>good luck finding them all
>all
Petroleum is just a mixture of random hydrocarbons. That's it. The fact that there are numerous different products derived from this same feedstock doesn't change that fact. And you can synthesize these same fucking hydrocarbons from just about any organic material using Fischer-Tropsch conversion (basically an accelerated version of the natural processes that turn biomass into petroleum), the ONLY reason it isn't done is because it's cheaper to just pump petroleum out of the ground than to gather up and process these other organic feedstocks ourselves.
>>8114320
>combat
>abandoned
Bwahhaha
>it's gonna be a pain to figure out how to fly a super sonic f-35 or a 170,000 kg 787 without jet fuel.
Again, you can synthesize fuel from all kinds of different feedstocks. Some, like coal gas or biomass are already energetic, others require the addition of energy to process (which you could provide from solar power if absolutely necessary). The Navy even had a proposal to synthesize jet fuel at sea from seawater and energy from the carrier's reactor, supposedly for as little as $3/gal: http://www.defensetech.org/2012/10/02/converting-sea-water-to-navy-jet-fuel/
>>
We grow gems to propel ships slowly toward places their counter parts are available.
>>
>>8113200
or both
>>
There's no such thing as "Fossil" fuels you fucking retards.

It was made up by oil companies so they can keep prices high, they'll just keep finding more till it no longer benefits them.
>>
We go out
>>
>>8113195
we go back to fireing jews
>>
>>8113195
>>8113740
>>8114208
>>8114432
>fossil fuels
When will this meme end?

Peak oil is bullshit conjured up by Shell oil "scientist" in the 50's and only designed to create artificial scarcity. Oil is not a fossil fuel, petroleum is a primordial mixture of deep-earth hydrocarbons and is only limited by the amount of hydrocarbon constituents in the inner regions of our planet.
>>
File: qjcWiyC.jpg (60 KB, 550x521) Image search: [Google]
qjcWiyC.jpg
60 KB, 550x521
Everybody hopes we'll go to space to mine asteroids.
But we're sitting on more nickel-iron than we could ever use.

We're likely to run out of helium before oil.
So space mining is likely to go after helium in the atmospheres of Saturn and Jupiter.

Once that's established, we'll just go to Venus for hydrocarbons.

Seriously though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel
...we can even make plastic from algae.

Plus:
http://geology.com/articles/methane-hydrates/
>>
>>8114208

No, even if we burn them all at once the global temps will rise less than 0.3°C for a couple of years, then everything will be back to "normal", which means the usual ups and downs dictated by the Sun. In general, our activities account for less than a fart in comparison to the energy coming from the Sun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_irradiance#Earth

The main reason to avoid wasting fossil fuels is that we'll need them in case of another ice age.
>>
>oil can't be produced in labs
>we can't design a society without oil
>let's ignore mandkind had to live without oil until 200 year ago
ITT : peak oil retards.
>>
>>8115707
The shipping cost of mining and hauling helium far exceed the costs of just making it with fusion, at any scale.
>>
>>8115689
Get back into your grave Thomas.
>>
File: cx8Lgmb.jpg (42 KB, 640x526) Image search: [Google]
cx8Lgmb.jpg
42 KB, 640x526
>>8115901
>No, even if we burn them all at once the global temps will rise less than 0.3°C for a couple of years,
You're only counting the effect of the heat, not the emissions?

>>8116250
>>let's ignore mandkind had to live without oil until 200 year ago
...instead we just mined coal, harvested peat bogs and burned down old growth forests.
Plus we've got over seven time the population we had back then.
See also: pic related.

>>8116265
>shipping cost of mining and hauling helium far exceed the costs of just making it with fusion, at any scale.
From Saturn? Probably.
It was a half-facetious idea. Semi-shitposting if you will.
But a brief Google turns up nothing about helium fusion except stars.
Tell me more about making hydrogen.
>>
>>8116298
>Tell me more about making *HELIUM*.

...sorry, I'm a tad drunk
>>
>>8116298
Not the other anon but..

Put hydrogen in a special particle accelerator which can withstand around 200 million degrees and voila you have your own mini sun.

Dont ask me how getting it to 200 million degrees creates fusion but it should form your helium since were accelerating hydrogen and when it crashes into the other atom it makes your beloved helium.
>>
>>8115707
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel
>...we can even make plastic from algae.
That stuff works, but it doesn't seem likely that it will be able to replace fossil liquid fuels all together. Aviation, military use, construction, etc I can see being powered on biofuels. The land use, and thus cost, would be way to high for commuting to work though.

>>8115901
>In general, our activities account for less than a fart in comparison to the energy coming from the Sun:
Calling that "bullshit" would be putting it mildly.

>>8116250
>oil can't be produced in labs
Not cheaply.

>we can't design a society without oil
No-one is claiming this. For fucks sake, the argument is HOW we do that.

>let's ignore mandkind had to live without oil until 200 year ago
I'd rather not go with "Lets have a massive population die off, then regress back a few centuries" as plan-A, thanks.

>>8115707
>>8116298
Helium isn't actually all that rare on Earth.

>>8116339
>Put hydrogen in a special particle accelerator which can withstand around 200 million degrees and voila you have your own mini sun.
The goal is to put the sun in a box. The problem is the box.
>>
>>8113195
Wait and see, for now work hard to be useful, also enjoy life and help others.
>>
>>8116298
I could make helium in my garage.

Electrolysis to get hydrogen from water.

put the hydrogen in a fusor and turn it into helium
>>
>>8113716
so we should start collecting shit in jars? damn robots had it figured out all along..
>>
>>8116509
You have a fusion reactor in your garage?

Damn, here I was proud of my tool kit.
>>
>>8116509
I highly doubt your garage fusor can do H1->He4.
>>
>>8113208
Fuck off
>>
File: image1.png (317 KB, 780x718) Image search: [Google]
image1.png
317 KB, 780x718
>>8113195
>Abiogenic petroleum
In the 1950's, a few Russian scientists began questioning this traditional view and proposed instead that petroleum could form naturally deep inside the Earth.
>>
>>8113195
We start cloning and burning living dinosaurs.
>>
>>8114846
you can make gasoline out of thin air and energy. though you can't get more energy out than you put in. So it just becomes liquid battery.

an incredibly expensive, inefficent, and dangerous battery. which will only make sense for a limited number of applications. Everything else will have to be electrified.
>>
>>8116509
>can make helium in my garage
Yep, you can. Now please do the math on how long it will take you to fill one balloon. And how much electricity it will take to run your fusor.

I'll wait.
>>
>>8116348
>Helium isnt that rare
It doesnt have a purpuse so we dont use it but it is very rare

also

Who cares about the box if we cant even make the mini sun
>>
>>8117677
That would be pretty cool if true.
>>
File: organic_stardust.jpg (41 KB, 622x670) Image search: [Google]
organic_stardust.jpg
41 KB, 622x670
>>8118120
>>8113195
>>8117677

Complex organic matter discovered throughout the Universe

http://www.gizmag.com/organic-stardust-discovered/20310/
>>
>>8114036
>too late for thorium

U wot
>>
>>8113195
round all the fags and mutants up into the factories and burn them for fuel, putting literally trillions of terawatts of crisp, clean energy onto the global power grid
>>
Than we can start burning fat people for fuel. If you disagree, you're a moralfag who is holding back progress.
>>
>>8114320
Solar is getting dirt cheap, so cheap that we could use solar power to make liquid fuels economically:

http://www.keith.seas.harvard.edu/blog/cheapsolarpower
>>
>>8118930
U-2...235
>>
>>8117677

Even if it was true, which it isn't because the origins of geological petroleum are well understood, the issue is production will eventually be unable to scale with demand. Once that relationship breaks, the world economy will crash in a civilization-smashing manner.
>>
>>8118915

>fly into space to mine oil so that lazy assholes on earth don't have to use their fucking legs
>>
>>8119170
What about Titan and its hydrocarbon lakes?
>>
>>8119182

What about it?
>>
>>8113195
Here you go:

National Geographic - World Without Oil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S56y0AzwdVk
>>
File: E2_2620432a.jpg (429 KB, 1300x1542) Image search: [Google]
E2_2620432a.jpg
429 KB, 1300x1542
ITT: Y'all niggers forget that gas at the pump (in the U.S.) is already 10% alcohol.
We're ALREADY transitioning to a post-crude-oil world, and you didn't even notice.
>>
>>8113195

This is one o the many things that needs to be done to replace fossil fuels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_digestion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYntOAAQZZ4

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=191qAKrYC6zKBPCqGSI2GLWcaH-c&hl=en_US

You can actually do this at home on any scale you need, depending on how much biomass you have to put into your digester(s). It can be anything; a gallon milk jug, 5gal bucket/carboy, 55gal drum, 5000gal septic tank, etc.

You get methane fuel and great fertilizer.
>>
>>8113716
If we turned every acre of land in the US into growing corn for ethanol we would produce 1/2 of the energy requirements for the nation.

The ONLY viable solution to burning oil that we have is burning coal and we are not prepared for running everything on coal. The problem is the suburban way of life. As I already posted.

>>8113435
>>
>>8113195
That fat little asian from OP's picture finds and rapes you
>>
File: 1431044637563.jpg (80 KB, 562x800) Image search: [Google]
1431044637563.jpg
80 KB, 562x800
>>8119437
not sure if ur trolling, but ethanol requires oil to make, on both the level of growing the corn and refining corn into ethanol. it takes more energy to make ethanol than you get out of burning it.
>>
File: oil-shale-.jpg (53 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
oil-shale-.jpg
53 KB, 728x546
>>8119181
Asteroids form planets, and accumulates into oil deposits during planet formation
>>8119170
Russians are finding Oil deposits below the Fossil layer.
>>
>>8119549
Geology student here again. That's pretty well uneducated right there. Oil migrates. It doesn't stay in the location where it forms. Finding oil below the fossil layer says nothing
>>
>>8119547
>it takes more energy to make ethanol than you get out of burning it.
[citation needed]
>>
>>8113195
Fossil fuel has bin on the verge of running out for decades. All bullshit. It's artificial scarcity created by the oil companies to keep the prices high.
>>
>>8113200
What is hemp?
>>
>>8119557
>>8119547
It is actually pretty logical. You never get more energy out of anything you make than what you put into it.

The only times you can hope to stop this is something where you hijack existing bio processes that lower energy costs in production. One major thing is biomethane which uses microbes to produce the methane fuel. We get more out of that than what we put in only because of the microbes doing the major workload.

We still need to feed the microbes so that still requires biomass. Instead of growing things specifically for the biomass like in ethanol production, we use waste products. Things like human feces, animal manure, industrial food waste, farming biomass waste, etc.

You get back methane and fertilizer. So you can grow more crops with the fertilizer to start the cycle over again. That's something can can't be done with ethanol production unless you couple ethanol production biomass waste with the methanol/fertilizer production.
>>
File: birds_01L.jpg (82 KB, 740x370) Image search: [Google]
birds_01L.jpg
82 KB, 740x370
>>8119551
Ok... so how do I get plastic lawn furniture from dead Dinosaurs?
>>
>>8113716
seems like this inevitably will lead to massive population declines via population control by governments or violent conflict but both lead either to exhaustion of resources and then destruction or exhaustion and then a reversion to traditional farming styles (i.e. everyone grows food for themselves or their local community networks).
>>
>>8119655
You don't, they are not the ones that turned into oil. Oil comes from plants that were buried, not animal life.
>>
>>8118998
>http://www.keith.seas.harvard.edu/blog/cheapsolarpower

But the inverters are not, the transmission lines are not, and the batteries are definitely not. Also, energy costs are much more worrying than money costs.
https://bravenewclimate.com/2014/08/22/catch-22-of-energy-storage/
Money costs do not match energy costs because solar is being constructed by energetically cheap fossil fuels.
>>
>>8119543
Nuclear is totally viable.

>>8119557
It's a well known fact. Google it. Note: The numbers differ slightly. It might be marginally energetically positive to do so, but it's still a colossal waste of time.
>>
File: 1462130157517.jpg (72 KB, 560x461) Image search: [Google]
1462130157517.jpg
72 KB, 560x461
>>8119591
>It is actually pretty logical. You never get more energy out of anything you make than what you put into it.
>implying photosynthesis doesn't real
>>
>>8120455
>What are the laws of thermodynamics?
>What is the Sun (durr)?
>>
>>8113425
Will you be triangulated, will they shut down the Art Bell show?
>>
>>8113195
They won't "run out". What will happen is that we'll start to go to fossil fuels that are harder to extract, and that have require more energy to extract compared to the energy that we get from burning them. This decrease in net energy will mean that we'll have less surplus energy and human labor for other activities, and left unabated, this will continue until we're better off not even bothering with fossil fuels, and then no more modern fertilizers, and then 80% of the world's population starves. Again that starvation won't come all at once. It'll be a slow, gradual process, as "cheap" fossil fuels and fertilizer runs out.
>>
>>8120446
>It's a well known fact. Google it.
doge.jpg
wow
such citation
many credibility
etc
>>
>>8120471
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ethanol+corn+eroi
>>
File: Ed_Asner_-_1985.jpg (400 KB, 761x943) Image search: [Google]
Ed_Asner_-_1985.jpg
400 KB, 761x943
>>8120461
>>What is the Sun (durr)?
In this case, a source of energy, which is converted to chemical energy via photosynthesis.
Did you even bother to read this retard's post:
>>8119547
>>8119591
>You never get more energy out of anything you make than what you put into it.
Obviously, we can't get more energy out of ethanol than the total energy that went in, counting sunlight and all.
But, since we aren't paying for sunlight, you can't say that means ethanol is economically unfeasible, nor does "durr, first law of thermodynamics!" prove biofuels are nonviable.
>>
The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil.
>>
File: donald-trump.jpg (47 KB, 635x803) Image search: [Google]
donald-trump.jpg
47 KB, 635x803
>>8113195
The rich will survive.
Supermodels will survive.
The rich will fuck supermodels in luxury, solar powered homes.

You will starve.
>>
>>8120476
>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ethanol+corn+eroi
Google says you might be right, you might be wrong.
No clear answer.
>http://netenergy.theoildrum.com/node/6760
>On one side are Pimentel (2003) and Patzek (2004) who claim that corn ethanol has an EROI below one energy unit returned per energy unit invested,
>and on the other side are a number of studies claiming that the EROI is positive, reported variously as between 1.08 and 1.45 (Wang et al. 1997; Wang 2001; Shapouri et al. 2002; Graboski 2004; Shapouri 2004; Oliveira et al. 2005; Farrell et al. 2006; Wang et al. 2007).
>Even with numerous publications on this issue, disagreement remains as to whether corn ethanol is a net energy yielder. - See more at: http://netenergy.theoildrum.com/node/6760#sthash.e4FUdHr0.dpuf
>none of the major studies of the EROI of corn ethanol account for statistical error within their analysis. - See more at: http://netenergy.theoildrum.com/node/6760#sthash.e4FUdHr0.dpuf

This shit's as bad as economics.
Lots of people (like you, anon) WANT so badly to find a particular answer, you ignore all the results that don't support your position.
>>
>>8120482
Indeed.

But for corn ethanol in particular, when you look at the inputs of human labor, electricity, fertilizer, and other energy inputs that come from human effort, and specifically ignoring energy inputs like the sun, and you look at the energy output, you find that it's actually comparable to humans just moving a pile of dirt from location A to location B, then back again, aka busy work.
>>
>>8120491
I believe that's exactly what I claimed, that it might be marginally negative or positive, aka EROI of slightly below 1 or slightly above 1. That's exactly what I said.

Further, slightly above 1 is not good enough. Using horses and farm animals is "slightly above 1". In order to not be a waste of human labor and land, it needs to be substantially above 1, like on the order of a ratio of 10.
>>
>>8120492
>and specifically ignoring energy inputs like the sun,
>t it's actually comparable to humans just moving a pile of dirt from location A to location B, then back again,
If you ignore energy input from the sun, all life ended about 2-3 billion years ago, so no worries.
>>
File: movingthegoalposts.jpg (64 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
movingthegoalposts.jpg
64 KB, 500x281
>>8120493
>I believe that's exactly what I claimed,
Well, first you claimed:
>>8119547
...then you started backpedaling, three posts later.
>>
>>8120499
Go back and look. Notice how I'm a tripfag, and notice how that quote comes from a post that is not a tripfag.
>>
>>8120483
Yeah, life on the dirt ball is always getting better. It certainly will be after a post oil age die off.
>>
>>8120496
I fail to see your point, and it might be that you don't get my point. Imagine having 1 gallon of gasoline worth of energy in terms of fertilizer, electricity, gasoline. Then, imagine all of the fertilizer, electricity, and gasoline that humans will expend to produce ethanol from corn. It may be that with that 1 gallon of gasoline, we might only be able to produce 0.8 gallons of ethanol, aka it might be worse than just moving piles of dirt from one location to another, and then back again. And even if it's 1.5 EROI, it's still a colossal waste of time.
>>
File: U8hkQwf.jpg (302 KB, 1774x2048) Image search: [Google]
U8hkQwf.jpg
302 KB, 1774x2048
>>8120504
>Notice how I'm a tripfag,
I didn't notice that before.
Now I regret ever responding to your retarded ass at all.
Also:
>I'm a tripfag, and notice how that quote comes from a post that is not a tripfag.
>implying tripfags magically can't samefag
learn24chin, retard
>>
>>8120552
That's wonderful. I'll take that not-pology.
>>
File: plastic margarine container.jpg (339 KB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
plastic margarine container.jpg
339 KB, 2000x1334
>>8119800
>Ok...Ok so how do I get plastic lawn furniture from dead Plants?

Most precious metal deposits on the surface are from meteor impact (Sudbury Nickel mine)
>>
>>8120849
>>8119655
I wish these druggie religious asses would be banned from /sci/.
>>
>>8113195
the government releases its 100% efficient generators they got from Roswell.
>>
>>8120482
>>8120455
>>8120482
>>8120496
Photosynthesis is extremely inefficient and is a great example of the laws of thermodynamics. A shit ton more energy goes into a plant growing than what can be extracted from it even using the most efficient method. The best humans can do is hijack natural systems and have them do nearly all the work for us. That way our personal energy expenditure is less than the energy gained. Which you can't do with ethanol production alone. It must be coupled with something else; like methane generation.
>>
safe fresh water will run out before oil.

which is part of the reason china is building all those dams. they are storing himalayan snow melt. for the inevitable fresh water crisis that will happen.
>>
>>8120471
>>8120491
>>8120493
Actually, it is very clear. It takes more energy to make ethanol than you can get out of it simply because that's how the laws of thermodynamics work.
>>
>>8120889
I encourage you to read what I wrote again, and to read the other links, because that's not what I said.
>>
>>8120881
Humanity will never reach that point. We have less than 100 years left as a global civilization. At that point we peak then decline.
>>
>>8120890
I don't give a fucking shit what you said, I made a statement.

FACT: It takes more energy to make ethanol than you can get out of it simply because that's how the laws of thermodynamics work.
>>
>>8120881
same reason why the bushes are buying up land near the sources of many of the worlds fresh water systems and the reason america has military bases next to almost every one.
>>
>>8120899
Within a certain meaning, that is correct.
>>
-The free market can fix it.
-Suddenly they introduced a carbon tax to prevent the market to be free.

oh, the irony

They are financing photovoltaic in Germany, which is a bad location for it, buying panels in China, which uses energy from coal power plants to produce the panels (polluting), then after 30 years you have to replace the panels because they died, even forcing you to pay for the disposal of them, which isn't even possible at 100%, and in the end of things you'll end up owning the completely sterile piece of land where the panels were installed. If this is a plot for a movie, give it a Razzie Award already.
>>
>>8121032
Yep. Why can't we have nuclear already? Oh wait, I know, because of the climate change and ocean acidification deniers on the right, and because of the anti-nuclear loons on the left.
>>
>>8120899
Congratulations, if you completely ignore context you can shout irrelevant but true things and the feel like you've won something.
Good work.
>>
>>8121036
when they figure out what to do with the waste other than bury it in oil barrels give us a call.
>>
>>8121047
Or, how about they just bury it. It's a perfectly satisfactory solution, and in totality nuclear is way better than the alternatives.
http://thorconpower.com/docs/ct_yankee.pdf
>>
>>8121032
>-The free market can fix it.
How? And how does taxing fossil fuels get in the way?
>>
File: wut ur bf uzs on u.jpg (482 KB, 1140x1280) Image search: [Google]
wut ur bf uzs on u.jpg
482 KB, 1140x1280
>>8120469
>THIS

>>8119551
>Geology student here again. The Earth is flat (said in 1491)

Add temp and pressure to a fluid and it will flow downward.Thanks now I know how Fracking, Volcanoes and Gravity work.

>>8119192
Old stars and Titan have hydrocarbon, but no plant life as far as I know.

>>8120861
Ok... so how do you get the petroleum jelly that ur BF uses on you, from dead plants?
>>
>>8113195
Generate electricity from nuclear power/renewable sources and then use that energy to synthesize gasoline from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and water.
>>
>>8122032
This.
>>
>>8122032
>>8122063
>same fag
>>
>>8121648
Are you out of high school yet or did you drop out? Because you learn this shit in high school science in the USA.
>>
As in an oil shock? In the short term people would resort to carpooling and transit to get to work. Long term, car exclusive suburbs would be abandoned or become ghetto while car sales drop and passenger trains become massively profitable again. As it pertains to base power, energy costs would shoot up to the point where solar, clean coal, and nuclear are all viable. After a decade of power rationing things would even out.

The larger problem isn't so much energy as it is in industry: many industrial products (including all plastics) use petroleum as a component. Which means that all plastics and most synthetic rubbers would become immensely valuable for recycling and regular natural rubber would shoot up in price to the point where managed greenhouses of them might become profitable.
>>
>>8115656
underrated post
>>
>>8114694
>>8114674
There already were nuclear powered shipping vessels. Because they were so incredibly specialized they ended up being too expensive to maintain.

But if more ships switched to nuclear power it would be considerably cheaper. Nuclear ships can go a very very long time without refueling
>>
File: Dropout..png (109 KB, 2000x2588) Image search: [Google]
Dropout..png
109 KB, 2000x2588
>>8122141
>drop out

But still, I think it is a interesting theory.

>aren't you supposed to get all pissed off and start a flame war with me, obviously a gentleman.
>>
I don't care. I live in the middle of the desert, my house is solar powered, I grow my own food, and my bike doesn't need any gas. The only way I would be affected at all by a fossil fuel shortage is if internet providers can't power their systems, since the internet is the only way I can entertain myself out here. When fossil fuels run out and the world goes to shit, I'll be nice and comfy, though a bit bored.
>>
>>8114320
you've no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>8113195
We replace it with other types of fuel, like biodiesel. Some former petroleum products will be slightly more expensive as we start synthesizing the petroleum part, but after a while the market will stabilize, just like it did with rubber during WW2.

It will also change the exchange flow of the world economy, where many rich oil counties will lose their main source of income.

This is of course just speculation but I think this spells the end for anything resembling order in the middle east.
>>
>>8113208
SUMMER
>>
>>8113208
Jesus, please leave.
>>
The Middle East somehow becomes even more of a shithole, if that's even possible.
>>
>>8122686
It's going to be 2516 by the time we're out of coal so by that time we might as well use wireless electricity from our orbital solar farms. And/or pocket fusion reactions.
>>
File: hydrate.jpg (81 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
hydrate.jpg
81 KB, 750x422
>>8122531
>forgot to mention this
Methane clathrate or , also called methane hydrate, hydromethane, methane ice, fire ice, natural gas hydrate, or gas hydrate, is a solid clathrate compound (more specifically, a clathrate hydrate) in which a large amount of methane is trapped within a crystal structure of water, forming a solid similar to ice.Originally thought to occur only in the outer regions of the Solar System, where temperatures are low and water ice is common, significant deposits of methane clathrate have been found under sediments on the ocean floors of the Earth.
>>
>>8122531
>drop out

Well, that explains your fuck all knowledge of anything ITT. Go google some education about the subject before replying. Specifically, "Serpentinization"
>>
>>8119157
Bahahaha
>>
>>8122686
How do you propose we power our civilization with biofuels when we run out of phosphate for fertilizers?
>>
>>8113198
Nah
>>
>>8116309
Fusion of hydrogen atoms to form helium. We are running out at the moment, but when fusion becomes a thing, there will be shitloads of helium around. As for making hydrogen, we can separate it from water via electrolysis.
>>
>>8123852
>when fusion becomes a thing

it's not going to happen
>>
File: Spilbe.jpg (495 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Spilbe.jpg
495 KB, 1920x1080
>>8113195
Make more fossils. Get more fuels.
>>
>>8123749
You use biomethane instead of shitty biodiesel. That way you create fertilizer. You can add it to a huge cycle for food, waste treatment, fertilizer generation, and fuel generation.
>>
File: methane clathrate.jpg (293 KB, 1197x1600) Image search: [Google]
methane clathrate.jpg
293 KB, 1197x1600
>>8123716

>drop out

Doesn't mean that I can't give a reply
to OP's question.
>>
File: 1464129599379.png (237 KB, 462x264) Image search: [Google]
1464129599379.png
237 KB, 462x264
>>8124066
>OP: Hey guys what is 2+2=?
>Dropout Anon: 10!!! Because this link: mathsarelies.se.uk
>Anon: dropout anon, idiot
>>
>>8119543
>If we turned every acre of land in the US into growing corn for ethanol we would produce 1/2 of the energy requirements for the nation.
I'm not talking about ethanol or corn.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_fuel
>The ONLY viable solution to burning oil that we have is burning coal and we are not prepared for running everything on coal.
Coal can be gasified, hydrodgenized and then reformed into synfuel. Nothing has to change other than a bit of infrastructure.
>>8117720
>an incredibly expensive, inefficent, and dangerous battery.
>expensive
No, not really. $3/gal is not expensive. Pay attention.
>inefficient
Somewhat.
>dangerous battery.
Only if you consider gasoline or diesel "dangerous."
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.