[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a procrastinating sociologist anything about GMOs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 1387188733356.png (106 KB, 250x298) Image search: [Google]
1387188733356.png
106 KB, 250x298
>>
>>8112659
whats the best GMO
>>
>>8112672
Out on the market? Probably HT x IR maize.
>>
>>8112659
how i stop shitposting on /sci/ and actually study instead .
>>
>>8112685
Maybe an interesting topic of study would help. But I wouldn't know, why do you think I'm here?
>>
File: drop.gif (467 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
drop.gif
467 KB, 200x200
>>8112659
Do they actually cause cancer/autism/AIDS/exc?

Also were you ever on NPR?
>>
>>8112659
>sociologist
>GMOs

what?
>>
File: gmo4[1].jpg (55 KB, 500x298) Image search: [Google]
gmo4[1].jpg
55 KB, 500x298
>>8112659
How do you feel about pic related?
Post the firs thing that comes to your mind.
>>
>>8112693
No and no.

>>8112697
Don't ask.

>>8112702
Is that from the guy who is the Ben Garrison of digital art? I think he's hilarious, but I'm not sure if that's intended by him.
>>
>>8112702
is there more\highres of this ?
i wanna make a shirts with prints like this .
>>
>>8112733
I think it's from ddees.com
>>
>>8112659
why the fuck do I keep getting index list errors on autodock, fuck me I just want to see if this shit works properly
>>
>>8112659
Are people who fight against GMOs that would help Africans and South Americans racist in a sociological sense, or is the racial aspect of their desire to kill people only incidental?
>>
>>8112659
Will there be gmo wives for public market?
>>
>>8112702
except that's not what happens, is it?
>>
>>8112702
Buhooooo

I passed by teh organic section cuz it cost more munay and yet i complain about poision food because i dont understand how to invest in my own health.

>but anon, some people genuinely can't afford non gmo

how dat my problem?
>>
>>8113165
GMOs don't really wirk in Africa. I don't know if those people really care, in a lot of ways it's just a proxy war forEurope and North America.
>>
>>8113573
No

>>8113625
Of course not.
>>
Will they make my testicles bigger?
>>
A sociologist about GMO?

Thats like asking a psychologist about an brain-tumor. No offense.
>>
>>8114838
No

>>8114842
None taken. Even though I'm probably not the biggest fan of psychology.
>>
>>8112708
>Don't ask.
He already asked, and the question was implicit in your OP.
>>
>>8114977
Fair enough. I'm doing a PhD on new biotechnologies (CRISPR etc.), a shift in intellectual property rights, and the effect that will have on the plant breeding industry. Since I had to get behind the science in genetic engineering and why it was only half successful, I think I might as well share my knowledge with you guys. Could have done it on /pol/, but I might as well eat a turd cake.
>>
File: store.jpg (199 KB, 810x648) Image search: [Google]
store.jpg
199 KB, 810x648
>>8112736
this site is great
thanks senpai
its truly marvelous how poeple come up with the ideas for these images .
>>
so does that make you a social scientist?
>>
>>8112659
Are ticks arachnids?
>>
>>8115087

Protip: left is 'murica and right is western yurop.
>>
>>8115083
im not worried about genetic modification

i am worried as hell about given entities patenting genetic sequences. thats some orwell level shit.

is there anything that can be done to prevent the dangers of patenting genetic sequences? is commercial or public awareness such that they could be taken in time? am i just tinfoiling here and theres no real danger?
>>
>>8115164
Maybe you should first determine what the actual dangers are, instead of depending on thought-terminating cliches like "orwell level shit" to excuse yourself from having to do any legitimate reasoning.
>>
>>8115164
Genetic sequences can be patented, but not any genetic sequence. It usually needs to be synthetisized or transgenic, but at least characterized genetically and phenetically. Only "novel" (meaning not publicly known) DNA sequences can be patented, and only for a couple of years.

What does such a patent include? It contains the right to exclude third parties from using these genes for their own product, keeping them from freeriding on the R&D expenses you invested to develop a new genetic trait. It does not mean that you are Craig Venter's eternal slave because he tried to patent parts of the human genome.

Patents are, I would say, not a problem of the consumers. They are mostly restricted to lab animals in red genetics (Myriad is an exception to that) and in green genetics mostly affect breeders who would like to reuse plant varieties containing patented genes (or other traits). Patents are complex issues and lead to high transaction costs between firms, so they often cause market concentration. The fear is not so much that our seeds, plants, and foods will be taken away, but rather an accelerated oligopolization in the seed sector, leading to fewer varieties and crop species on the market and thus a disadvantage for the farmers.
>>
>>8115103
yes

>>8115091
I guess
>>
>>8115087
yeah, a shame he' not more popular on /pol/
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.