[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whenever I drink coffee (and this also happens to some friends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: A_small_cup_of_coffee.jpg (392 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
A_small_cup_of_coffee.jpg
392 KB, 1600x1200
Whenever I drink coffee (and this also happens to some friends when they smoke) I want to take a shit like less than a minute later. I suppose there's no way the coffee already reached my intestines, so what is going on? Is it my brain doing something after tasting coffee? is it a placebo? should this thread be in /ck/ instead?
>>
im sure this has something to do with blood flow and dehydration in rectum.
>>
>>8111876
>Is it my brain doing something after tasting coffee? is it a placebo

Put the coffee in your mouth
Spit it out
???
Find out
>>
Possibly related: that thing where you wake up after a night of drinking and feel all right, then you smoke your first cigarette of the day and the hangover hits you full force in the vagina, mouth and anus.
>>
>>8111945
mmh, problematical because mucous membrane in mouth.
>>
>Is it my brain doing something after tasting coffee?

The caffeine molecules touch the neurons in your mouth and throat. They bind to A2 receptors, and cause calcium, sodium and potassium to flow from the neurons in your mouth to neighboring neurons through the axon. The flow of Ca, Na, K and many molecular neurotransmitters across chains of neurons is called an action potential, and can contain enough information to send a signal right down to your anal sphincters, which relax along with the rest of your muscles.

As you drink more coffee, this response becomes conditioned in the neurons, forming a circuit which activates faster. This is what learning is.

>>8111947

During sleep, the body inhibits action potentials in many parts of the body, such as the peripherial nervous system. During sleep paralysis, you wake up but these action potentials don't reactivate.

Pain is a result of TRP1 proteins shooting sodium at each other. During sleep, the body shuts down these so-called sodium channels. When you first wake up, these channels are just turning back on.

Alcohol activates GABA-a receptors, which inhibit action potentials. This is the cause of the drowsiness.

Nicotine interacts with the sodium channels, first by activating them, then by shutting them down. So when you smoke a ciggerette, you're basically pushing a button that says 'Pain' in your head. However, as the nicotine builds, it becomes an analgesic.

Alcohol and nicotine are similar in that they both have initial stimulant effects, followed by sedative effects.
>>
>>8112008
Nice explanation. So would the spins/vomiting/diarrhea also be tied to one of these action potentials?
>>
>>8112008
Fantastic post. Have an upboat.
>>
>>8111947
London
o
n
d
o
n
>>
>>8112038

The dizziness is caused by the alcohol inducing blood pressure changes, which eventually disrupt the pressure of the middle ear. Your eyes also change pressure, and this combines with poor motor control to cause the eyes to wander out of sync.

The nausea and vomiting are caused by changes in stomach ph. In terms of action potentials, the alcohol is inhibiting the ones that cause you to vomit and breathe.

The diarrhea is caused by lack of muscle control, muscle relaxation and the stomach pushing the alcohol-rich stomach contents downwards into the intestines.

>>8112040

Thanks.
>>
>>8111947
>women who smoke
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.