[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /sci/, Can you tell me the easiest way to calculate the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Six_sigma.jpg (388 KB, 1240x829) Image search: [Google]
Six_sigma.jpg
388 KB, 1240x829
Hi /sci/,

Can you tell me the easiest way to calculate the standard deviation within a collection of numbers?
>>
>>8110215
calculate the sum of the squares of every number and then subtract the square of the mean from that as many times as you have numbers.
>>
>>8110219
Thank you!
>>
>>8110245
forgot to add: when you've done all that you need to then take the square root
>>
>>8110219
That's not stdev
>>
>>8110219
>>8110275
you're wrong
>>
ffs. google.com
>>
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation
>>
>>8110279
>>8110285
not that guy but you can prove that this is true yourself from the definition of variance, it's very easy.
>>
Just apply this

[math]\mu = \frac {\sum (x)}{n}\\
\sigma = \sqrt {\frac {\sum \left (x^{2} \right )}{n} - \mu^{2}}[/math]

where x represents your numbers.
>>
>>8110593
variance = (1/n)sum((x-a)^2)

(1/n)sum((x-a)^2) =? sum(x^2) - na^2

(1/n)sum(x^2 + a^2 - 2ax) =? sum(x^2) - na^2

(1/n)sum(x^2) + a^2 - (2a/n)sum(x) =? sum(x^2) - na^2

(1 - 1/n)sum(x^2) - (2a/n)sum(x) + (n+1)a^2 =? 0

So if we have two numbers A and B

(1 - 1/2)(A^2+B^2) - (2(A+B)/4)(A+B) + (2+1)(A+B)^2/4 =? 0

(1/2)(A^2+B^2) + (1/4)(A+B)^2 =? 0

3A^2 + 2AB + 3B^2 =? 0

This only has imaginary solutions, so it's wrong.

>>8110613
That's wrong also. Jesus /sci/.
>>
[eqn]\sigma =\sqrt{ \frac{\sum(x-\mu)^2}{n}}[/eqn]
>>
>>8110907
what an idiot
>>
>>8110925
this

alternatively, 1/n*sum(x^2f(x))-ยต^2
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.