[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the second example not a set because it's not denoted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: watt.png (10 KB, 998x94) Image search: [Google]
watt.png
10 KB, 998x94
Is the second example not a set because it's not denoted by a capital letter? This seems silly; it would've been a set in complex analysis or linear algebra; why not in topology?
>>
>>8109559
time to find a new textbook
>>
File: sadtilda.jpg (65 KB, 1200x652) Image search: [Google]
sadtilda.jpg
65 KB, 1200x652
>>8109565

pls anon; I already got attached. ;; I read the prefaces and I feel like I got a personal student-teacher connection with the author and when I read the text, I narrate his voice as though he were an actual lecturer so that I don't get lonely.
>>
>>8109559
Oh god what book is this. {1,2,3} is totally a set.

OP, something else to keep in mind. In ZFC (which is probably secretly the axiom system your book is using), everything is a set. The lowercase/uppercase distinction is used as a convention to help one keep track of what objects are being manipulated, and what is containing those objects. This does not change the fact that everything is a set.
>>
>>8109571

This isn't a YLYL thread.
>>
>>8109565
This.

What the fuck are you even trying to learn OP?
Pedantic set theory? Find a book that explains it better. Logic? Find a logic book.

Mathematics with set theory? Get a better book and maybe Rudin.

>>8109577
However, the difference between a "set" and a "collection" used to confuse me. That might be what OP wants to ask about. But if not, then that's true.
>>
>>8109571
Crackpots sound friendly too, that doesn't make their bullshit any more useful.
>>
>>8109559
That's truly, truly bizarre.

>>8109565
I echo this person's sentiment.
>>
>>8109571
Sorre OHPEE but >>8109565 is right
That shit from your book makes as much sense as saying that dog is a verb and not a noun so it should never be used as a noun
>>
>>8109571
>I read the prefaces and I feel like I got a personal student-teacher connection with the author
[math]\operatorname{Autism}~\operatorname{Detected}[/math]
>>
>>8109559
>CS discrete math book detected
>>
I don't even understand the author's argument. Can someone explain his reasoning?
>>
>>8109779
No idea. Let me know if you figure out it.
>>
>>8109779
I'm thinking the author meant to write (1,2,3), or [1,2,3], etc.
>>
File: Screenshot_18.png (50 KB, 1061x569) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_18.png
50 KB, 1061x569
>>8109661

Rudin is fucking horrible time wise. The book is an introductory topology book and it seemed friendly enough to be a survey into the subject before I read a rigorous one but that one line was odd.
>>
>>8109827
I love Rudin, but that's just me.

Anyway, for Topology, read Munkres.

His book is by far the best I've seen for introducing topology and it's also well-respected.
>>
>>8110892
This. It's also surprisingly easy to self teach from Munkres (unlike Rudin).
>>
>>8109827
I would recommend moving to a different book. Don't feel compelled to read the entirety of Munkres if that's what you decide to read, by the way.
>>
>>8109827
"putting the objects within the second brackets"
I don't even know what "the second brackets" means.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.