[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you have taken the GRE? How did you study for it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1407221431220.png (125 KB, 649x457) Image search: [Google]
1407221431220.png
125 KB, 649x457
How many of you have taken the GRE? How did you study for it?
>>
Got the Kaplan Premier prep book. Didn't bother with the book, because the CD it comes with is all you need. I took the practice tests on the CD, one or two full ones a day for the week before my test. The tests were the exact same layout as the GRE, so I was very familiar with the test. I feel like those practice tests really helped me do well.
>>
>>8108420
Does practicing actually help though?

I'm looking at these and it reminds me of the SAT which I did shit on even though I still managed to get into a decent school
>>
>>8108448
So I used the tests as a diagnostic as well, but I found practice helped a lot yes. The math part was easy for me (but I minored in math so IDK your thing) but the practice was most helpful for the reading parts, which can be kind of tricky. Also the scores I got on the Kaplan tests were very predictive of my real scores.
>>
did not study did fine
>>
>>8108459
My second major was in philosophy and I'm managing to get destroyed by the reading questions. I guess it just needs practice.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll probably buy the Kaplan
>>
>>8108487
>>>>>>>philosophy
>>
File: gre-scores-power-of-philosophy.png (91 KB, 708x547) Image search: [Google]
gre-scores-power-of-philosophy.png
91 KB, 708x547
>>8108489
I also majored in economics :0)
>>
>>8108497
>compsci does terribly in verbal and writing
no surprise there, bunch of autists
>>
Get the official GRE book, it has like 6 practice exams. Do a few, study what you need to study, and then do some more. When it's near your test day, download the official program called powerprep and do those practice exams. This is just to be familiar with the computer aspect of the exam.
>>
>>8108487
Real talk 2 passages on my GRE were straight out of philosophy texts. Just practice a lot, you'll do fine.
>>
If I did very well on the SAT/ACT can I expect to score similarly on the GRE? Is it just harder versions of the same type of material?
>>
>>8108497
You know that literally writing is analyzed based on how much you write, and never actually based on the correctness of your writing?
>>
>>8108573
It's a college-level SAT
>>
Anyone have any opinions on taking it electronically vs. taking the test on paper?
>>
>>8108393
Used Magoosh, would recommend. Scored 327.
>>
>>8108719
You can't take it on paper in the USA.
>>
>>8108746
Ah okay, didn't know that. Thanks.

And you get your scores for math and verbal right at the test center after you finish right?
>>
>>8108393
Is grad school even worth it though? I mean having a master's is nice but I already have five years experience in my field, regulatory affairs, but I've never been told I couldn't advance because I needed my MSc.
>>
>>8108777
>I don't need a graduate degree for my personal goals
>does this mean that grad school is never worth it?
>>
>>8108773
After you finish, you get the unofficial scores for the verbal and quant. Since they are unofficial, they can change, but I've never heard that they do. I'm guessing that if it did change, it would be by one point.
>>
>>8108393
Any tips for the math subject GRE?
>>
>>8108839
Any tips for the physic, chemistry and biology GRE's?
>>
>>8108839
Be good at math
>>
>>8108393
I took it when it was out of 1600. So it's been a good 7 years. Scored 1590, studied for a month extremely intensely. Only studied English, math was elementary school stuff.
I didn't use it in the end as I did not end up going to the US though I had an admit from a top uni.
>>
>>8108839
Half the exam is calculus stuff, so be really good at tricky calculus and diffeq stuff. Linear algebra stuff is theory and usually on eigenstuff in some way.

There will probably be a few questions on:
combinatorics and graph theory
probability
real analysis
complex analysis
topology
group theory
ring theory

If you are a math major, you should know all of them already. The other important aspect is time. Get used to working fast because many people struggle with pacing properly and they end up rushing to even finish the exam.
>>
Wait, do US citizens give a different GRE?
When I gave it it was just verbal and math. Verbal was quite tough, math was literally 6th grade stuff.
>>
>>8108871
The GRE was changed in 2011. Scores went from [200, 800] to [130, 170]. I don't remember when the writing section was added, but it was a long time ago.
>>
>>8108867
I'm very familiar with LA, so I'll just review that a little, but I'll break out my old calc textbook and just work through that.

I haven't done any graph theory or combinatorics, and very little probability, group theory, and ring theory. I am a math major, so I may have been taught some of the stuff just passively, but any book recommendations?
>>
Best prep books?
>>
>>8108393
>How many of you have taken the GRE?
twice
> How did you study for it?
I didn't.

If you have to study for the math portion, perhaps you shouldn't be on this board. It's only slightly harder than the SAT.
I shoulda probably practiced the verbal part, but fuck that.
>>
>>8108839
It should be easy if you are a math major. It's so easy a comp sci major could even do it
>>
I took, like, one practice test.
got 170/170/4.5
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.