[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Geometry the most underrated STEM field? It is truly marvelous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: kepler.png (37 KB, 771x708) Image search: [Google]
kepler.png
37 KB, 771x708
Is Geometry the most underrated STEM field?

It is truly marvelous how it exists, how shapes all seem to fit in a grand puzzle that is known as Geometry.
>>
shut the fuck up please
>>
>>8105102
Geometry is literally everywhere. Especially in physics. Everything from euclidean geometry and trigonometry to do simple mechanics problems, to hyperbolic geometry in SR, differential geometry in GR & gauge theory, algebraic geometry in string theory, etc.
>>
Should be

Phi^2 + 2phi + 1
>>
>>8105102
Maybe you can help, do you know any modules or textbooks I can start reading to learn about small non-abelian groups? I only have linear algebra under my belt so far so I might need to do it in steps.
>>
>>8105102
Yes geometry and topology are at the core of practically everything.
>>
>>8105107
That's because we fucking occupy space.
>>
>>8105133
>he doesn't know about [math]\text{[math][/math]}[/math]
Write [math]\varphi^{2}+2\varphi +1[/math] instead.
>>
>>8105158
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8105133
>>8105369
I fucked up twice getting the right phi.
It's [math]\varphi +1[/math], dammit.
>>
[math]a^2 + b^2 = c^2[/math]

kek
>>
>>8105104
why should they?
>>
Do most universities not offer much in terms of geometry or is it just mine? I graduated with a BS in math and I feel like I know almost nothing about geometry except for a smidgen of projective geometry I picked up for a research project
>>
File: phi.png (34 KB, 771x708) Image search: [Google]
phi.png
34 KB, 771x708
should be
>>
>>8108329
My university offers two undergrad geometry courses:
Non-Euclidean Geometry,
Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces

And multiple graduate courses:
Riemannian Geometry,
Geometric Analysis,
Algebraic Geometry 1&2,
and multiple special topic courses that vary semester by semester. This semester they are Riemann Surfaces and Toric Varieties.
>>
>>8108329
I think the problem is that "classical" geometry is kind of a dead horse and not much is left to prove with elementary methods.

So instead of teaching that, they rape innocent students' minds with algebraic topology, schemes and shit like that.

Apart from that there is differential geometry, and the only ones taking that are physics majors, because, you know, they *have* to.
>>
>>8108329
You should work through Euclid's Elements on your own time. It's a ton of fun and put Geometry in a totally new perspective for me.
>>
>>8108440
differential geometry is part of my curriculum. we also have one further "topics in geometry" class.

don't generalize
>>
>>8105102
I loved geometry in high school and everyone else hated it. Oh the autism.
>>
File: Binbougami_ga.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Binbougami_ga.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
>>8105102
What it's like when some morons don't know bout Non-Euclidean Geometry and Hyper-Complex Numbers, and we disagree on the use of Quaternians or using cross-product and dot product.
>>
>>8108329
My uni offers a short course on geometric topology (knots) for second years, then differential geometry, topology, algebraic geometry and geometry (elementary hyperbolic, projective) for third years and algebraic topology and riemannian geometry for fourth years
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.