[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: fields or subjects that interest you, but every time you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
ITT: fields or subjects that interest you, but every time you attempt to study it you remember how boring it is, or are reminded why you didn't go into that field.

For me it's physics.
I Used to be a Physics major. I'm a math major now, but I still have interest in GR. I got through Differential Geometry, but every time I try to study even the most basic GR, I get so bored and I am reminded how uninteresting Physics is to me. Same with QT/QM.
>>
>>8101488
>still have interest in GR
>I am reminded how uninteresting Physics is to me

Then what is peaking your interest in GR if you don't care about how the world works?
>>
>>8101507
Pique, not peak.
>>
>Ate dicks 24/7
Just like the man's probably inbred mother
t. State of Chicago.
>>
>>8101507
I just want physics to work for me desu, it's what got me interested in STEM.

I went into physics for gravitation because that was what mostly interested me, but the rest of it was fucking boring (Electrodynamics, Mechanics, etc.).

I really couldn't convince myself to study something for 4 years when only one topic out of the whole subject really interested me. I'm aware that you need ED, QM, Mech. Etc. to do REAL GR, but I can just do basic GR on my own time.
>>
Chemistry
Biological chemistry
Literature/poetry
Economics
>>
>>8102979
Why does gravitation interest you when mechanics doesn't?
>>
>>8102979
This desu.

I wanted to study the cosmos and learn more about elusive things like weak force, strong force, etc though mostly interested in planetary astronomy which includes physics, geology, meteorology etc.

But my school had no astro major so i had to take physics and was bored with fluids and electricity so i changed.

The few astro classes were interesting and fun but full of the typical idiots clammering about alienz, black holes, white holes, time travel.
>>
>>8102994
>learn more about elusive things like weak force, strong force
>was bored with electricity

kek
>>
>>8102994
What in the everloving fuck makes you think that strong force and weak force will be exciting if you don't enjoy electromagnetism? I BET THE OTHER FORCES ARE COOLER.
>>
>>8103000
>>8103013
>how dare you be interested in things that differ from what im interested in
>how could you possibly find somethibg that has very little known about it interesting

This why you have neither intellect nor companionship.
>>
>>8103025
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroweak_interaction
>>
>>8103025
>>You hate one force and think you'll like others?
>STOP JUDGING PEOPLE'S INTERESTS
Thanks for contribootin 2 da thred.
>>
>>8103025
>wanted to study physics/astrophysics
>didn't want to study one of the fundamental forces

wut
>>
>>8103013
Non-abelian gauge theory is very different to abelian gauge theory, and classical electromagnetism is rarely studied as a gauge theory - you just learn about an E field and a B field coupled to current and charge densities, and miss out on all the interesting geometry.
That geometry becomes much more interesting when the gauge group is non-abelian, as in the string and weak forces, and the quantum theory picks up a lot of strange new effects and theory, like requiring ghost fields with the wrong spin-statistics, non-linearity and all that goes with that, like flux tubes and confinement.
Because of this QED is essentially "finished", but electroweak interactions and QCD still have a lot to offer. Even classical Yang-Mills theory has applications in mathematics.
>>
>>8102993
I think it's more that when I went into physics a year ago I really wanted to do "Astrophysics", so I talked with my professors and I found one that let me into his group, little did I know it was fucking boring. And I found astronomy to be fucking boring as well. So at the end of the day I really didn't know what I was doing in physics anymore.

This was the beginning of me losing interest in the field. So in the class itself I was expecting to do problems like the type that one would do when applying Differential Equations to physics, but of course you need to start off with basic shit before getting into the more complex stuff.

I think it's that I WANT to have interest in GR, but in reality I probably don't.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.