[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obviously I don't have any mathematical or scientific training
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: img343.jpg (130 KB, 600x694) Image search: [Google]
img343.jpg
130 KB, 600x694
Obviously I don't have any mathematical or scientific training or whatever so this could very well belong to a sqt, but isn't basic algebra (probably not a proper math object) supposed to be transitive? Like if a=b and a=c then b=c? Then why is (-b+(b^2-4ac)^(1/2))/2a) ≠ (-b-(b^2-4ac)^(1/2))/2a) even though they both are equal to ax^2+bx+c=0)? Also there's the if a=b then a+-*/c=b+-*/c property. It doesn't hold for "x=7 then x/(x-7)=7(x-7)" Does this mean math is broken? Do we just patch it up because it's useful irl? Doesn't the fact that there are undefined operations in basic maths prove that it is broken? Wasn't something like this, an undefined result, what killed, for instance, type theory?
>>
>>8101179
You can't equate an expression with an equation.
>>
>>8101179
>>8101179
you can't use "equal to" that way. Neither (-b+(b^2-4ac)^(1/2))/2a) nor (-b-(b^2-4ac)^(1/2))/2a) are "equal to" ax^2+bx+c=0.

Generally if you know nothing about math but you think math is broken you are the one fucking up.
>>
>>8101179
If we take b=0, a = -1, and c = some positive number, then your question translates to
"if (-1)*x^2 + (0)*x + c = 0, and if x = ((-(0)+((0)^2-4(-1)c)^(1/2))/2(-1)) or ((-(0) - ((0)^2-4(-1)c)^(1/2))/2(-1)) , then shouldn't ((-(0)+((0)^2-4(-1)c)^(1/2))/2(-1)) = ((-(0) - ((0)^2-4(-1)c)^(1/2))/2(-1)) be true? No, if x is this number, OR that number, it does not mean it is this number AND that number.
>>
-2^2=4 and 2^2=4 doesn't mean -2=2, so no cigar.
>>
>>8101179
I really do not get this picture's popularity at all.

There's a cigar in the wall. So what.
>>
>>8101202
Besides 1/3(.333333) to 3/3(1.0)
>>
the quadratic equation is solving for x values that make the ax^2 + bx + c expression equal to 0
x = (-b +/- (b^2-4ac))/2a
x =/= ax^2 +bx + c
>>
>>8101179
They are not literally equal to that quadratic. Why do you think that? That doesn't make sense in the least. If you sub $(-b + \sqrt{b^{2} -4ac})/2a$ for x into $ax^{2} + bx + c$ you get zero. That's what that means.
>>
>>8101208
this is the reason op
>>
Hahaha wtf, did you skip highschool?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.