[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do plebeians really think mathematicians try to add/multiply/divide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: picard-squinting.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
picard-squinting.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
Do plebeians really think mathematicians try to add/multiply/divide numbers in their head all day?
>>
No, they think mathematicians try to find new mathematical problems to solve all day or review and discuss older mathematical problems with other mathematicians.
>>
>>8100176
>they think ACADEMICS OF FIELD try to find new FIELD OF STUDY problems to solve all day or review and discuss older FIELD OF STUDY problems with other ACADEMICS OF FIELD

this can be said of any field and still be true
>>
>>8100169
OK fellas, I'll bite.
What DO mathematicians do all day?
(besides browse /sci/)
>>
File: 5QmVBaJ[1].png (88 KB, 1114x550) Image search: [Google]
5QmVBaJ[1].png
88 KB, 1114x550
>>8100205
>>
>>8100184
Yeah, which is why people think that.
It's not a complicated thought process.
>>
>>8100208
How much time do they spend looking for funny symbols to use in their papers?
>>
Does anyone else find that sometimes, when doing multiplication/division of larger numbers, your brain splits and tries to compute it in two different ways at the same time and the paths race to finish it? Idunno maybe I did too much acid in high school.
>>
>>8100169
t. insecure about my inability to do mental math
>>
>>8100169
no. but i do no i practice my multiplication tables with your mom.
>>
>>8100169
What a 9gag tier post. And no, nobody over the age of 12 thinks that.
Seriously, what is the point of this thread?
>>
>>8100169
Lots think academics and researchers are useless and not the real world, you hear this from non technical people and general dumbasses. When I say I study/studied math people generally ask me some I'll pose logic problem or a big computation which just tells me they have no fucking idea, so there's a good chance you are right.
>>
>>8100208
Fuck, gypsies took over that commutative diagram.
>>
>>8103630
This. Your average fucktard doesn't even know there is math beyond Calculus.
>>
>>8100176
>>8103411
You overestimate the normal plebeian. You probably don't have a lot of interaction with them in your everyday life, but think about it, around 50 % of the population has an IQ < 100. To many of them math is just arithmetic and something they "never were good at". See also >>8103630.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.