[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you noticed that it's more difficult to find examples
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1443905150977.jpg (228 KB, 800x952) Image search: [Google]
1443905150977.jpg
228 KB, 800x952
Have you noticed that it's more difficult to find examples of maths being useful in the real world than it is to understand and apply the maths?

Is all maths past school level, dare I say it, overrated?
>>
the best mathematics are mathematics that you feel the need for when solving a problem or studying a topic. Everyone has their own best mathematics.
>>
>>8099668
>Have you noticed that it's more difficult to find examples of maths being useful in the real world than it is to understand and apply the maths?
but you're staring at a computer screen op
>>
>>8099668
Congratulations, you just found out the secret fact /sci/ loves to deny vehemently. Applied math requires more intelligence than "pure" math. With a little bit of training it's not hard to become a proof robot who can memorize definitions, theorems and proofs. But a really smart guy like von Neumann recognizes what maths is needed for what real world application, and as a byproduct produces totally new fields of math.
>>
Mechanical Engineer here

I don't really go beyond Differential equations, and only for presentations to the EPA or when we are using new equipment so we can send simplified instructions to the field workers.

protip: I work for an environmental restoration firm. We remove pollution from bodies of water such as rivers and lakes.
>>
>>8099687
This.

Remember guys, the superior degree will always be a applied math degree.
>>
>>8099698

>I don't really go beyond Differential equations
>implying engineers do more than touch the topic on its surface

kek
>>
>>8099956
I can tell you're frustrated with your life
>>
>>8099698
>engineering

Literally a pleb discipline

Go build me a car while I view the beauty of pure mathematics
>>
>>8099668
>overrated
By who?
>>
>>8100240
> pure math
> beauty
Math, like art, is only beautiful in its utility.
>>
>>8100263
Tell what utility a painting serves.
>>
>>8100277
Architecture > Paintings
Or well designed cars, gear trains, etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 448x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 448x480
>>8100238
>>
>>8099698
I like you anon.
>>
>>8100238
just kidding, easy boy
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.