[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm interested in the idea of brain plasticity, because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: mindset-carol-dweck-pictures1.jpg (145 KB, 1191x840) Image search: [Google]
mindset-carol-dweck-pictures1.jpg
145 KB, 1191x840
I'm interested in the idea of brain plasticity, because I'm a piece of shit and there are a lot of things i want to change about my personality. The way I understand it, performing an action "digs grooves" and creates a habit, so over time confident or disciplined activities change your brain to the point you are a naturally confident or disciplined person. I have a few questions about this:
1) Is my understanding of brain plasticity fundamentally correct, even if it's pop-sci tier?
2) Currently I'm using a lot a of drugs, stimulants and beta blockers, to get school stuff done and better in social situations. Are the habits Im building using these drugs going to stick with me long term, even after I stop using them?
3) Where can I learn more about this without getting a degree in neuroscience? Are there any reasonably scientific self help books on the subject?
>>
>>8098788

ask your doctor
>>
File: flavortown.png (583 KB, 536x598) Image search: [Google]
flavortown.png
583 KB, 536x598
>>8098788
Plasticity is basically neurons making new connections with other neurons. Supply and demand can make this happen. Look, what I'm trying to say is you won't find any quick fix to being a piece of shit. Work hard, Study hard and be disciplined. We're all gonna make it bro.
>>
why would i do that when i have the great scientific minds of 4chan?
but seriously there is little chance an ordinary doctor would know anything about this
>>
>>8098793
>>8098799
>>
>>8098788
>digs grooves

Terrible term. The action instead strengthens that memory area against the eroding your sleep cycle does to it.

>2) Currently I'm using a lot a of drugs, stimulants and beta blockers, to get school stuff done and better in social situations. Are the habits Im building using these drugs going to stick with me long term, even after I stop using them?

You are 100% fucking yourself over on multiple levels.
>>
>>8098983
>You are 100% fucking yourself over on multiple levels.
pls elaborate. why would actions done on drugs no also strengthen a memory area against erosion?
>>
>>8098788
>2) Currently I'm using a lot a of drugs, stimulants and beta blockers, to get school stuff done and better in social situations. Are the habits Im building using these drugs going to stick with me long term, even after I stop using them?
No, you're building reliance on those drugs to get shit done. The only way to actually train your brain to actually adopt those habits you need to do that shit without drugs.
>>
The drugs are the hard part. I'm still afraid of the piece of shit I am off them. You on the drug and you off the drug develop as two different people if you let it happen. If people can tell the difference between you on the drug and you off it, you've gone too far.

>>8098796
This guy has it right, there is no steroids for the brain. You seem to be in the right state of mind though, you see your flaws and want to fix them. Just work hard at it and you with have a better future.
>>
>>8101495
There are steroids for your brain, whether internal or external. One of the most significant is NMDA receptor agonists.

Good news: They're generally safe and have been found to improve long-term memory and plasticity.

Bad news: When we make better ones, we get worse side effects. Stuff like sunifiram and unifiram may have increased fatty acid turnover (noopept might too), leading to cracked lips, knuckles, and god knows what else. IDRA21 is potent enough to cause brain damage and/or seizures in rats and presumably people.

I really like where NMDA agonists and shit are going. Less than ten years ago the best you could find was relatively cheap piracetam and some expensive derivatives. These days you might be able to get NSI-189, an antidepressant which was designed to, and does, increase hippocampal volume. Bad news: as it's one of the only treatments that could in principle cure depression, it's being hyperjewed.
>>
File: 1353021749755.jpg (5 KB, 148x177) Image search: [Google]
1353021749755.jpg
5 KB, 148x177
>>8099002
>erode my brain with drugs
>strengthen my brain against erosion
You get to pick only one, friend.
>>
>>8098788
>reasonably scientific self help books

A Mind For Numbers
>>
>>8101577
this picture... lol
>>
>>8101559

Then buy some fishoil?
it is cheap as fuck so how would that ever be a problem or you could simply find some high quality cooking oil and just abuse it and maybe even do a kieto diet.
>>
>>8101559
There is no such thing as any kind of NMDA antagonist that has no negative side effects. While it is true that the effects of one's use could be seen as a kind of steroid for the mind, by using an antagonist you ultimately end adding a large level of stress to the neurons. If used repeatedly, this stress would cause minor brain damage over time.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.