[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
d/ic/k here. I came here to ask what science topics should I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1464042846649.png (80 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
1464042846649.png
80 KB, 500x421
d/ic/k here.

I came here to ask what science topics should I learn to help me become a better draftmen and painter.

obviously anatomy, but how bout optics and other topics?

I've noticed art education is simplified education for retards where the teachers barely know the topics.
>>
File: gr8chat.png (158 KB, 1500x1285) Image search: [Google]
gr8chat.png
158 KB, 1500x1285
>>8098056
Drawing 3-d structures might be a worthy challenge to help you get better at drawing.
Functions such as u(x,t)=g(x)f(t) may be a good place to start but also accurately drawing relatively simple chemical structures if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
>>8098120
care to give a list of topics to google?
>>
Any preference of the topics given (functions or chemical structures) ? in essence they're the same
>>
>>8098133
mostly stuff like understanding how light works, how light works in computer programming, how color works, color psychology, how materials effect light and change our perception, how eyes works, how light changes hue travelling in a polluted or average air at long distances, how diferent times of day have diferent colors, geometry for artists, how perspective works from a physical point of view.

I dunno what else should I ask.
>>
>>8098147
how light works in what sense, I'm guessing you're not necessarily interested in the physics and more how it is perceived ?

I'm going to again guess by light in computer programming you meaning how lighting is done graphically and that requires a fair amount of knowledge about the system used. To put it briefly you take an object (3d ) draw edge lines and for a square you would create a source of light somewhere and look at the angles between the observer, object surface face and the source and then repeat the process for each face. It's not the easiest of tasks. the distance from each point on the surface (x,y,z) to the source (x1,y1,z1) and the observer (call it (0,0,0) for simplicity) can be calculated with really quite simple mathematics and if you're able you'd be able to create a formula for the distance from each surface point to the observer. This can be used to calculate light intensity observed from that point. For casual drawing you can get away with just guessing at what kind of light intensity gradient you will get and then adjusting until you're happy.

How colour works is highschool level physics but for how colours interact (say a green light reflecting off a blue object) you can find the details online but here's a link bbc co uk/education/guides/zq7thyc/revision/6
for surface colours which are a combination of colours you can probably use weighted averages of the colours to decide what the resultant colour is but I'm not an expert on the subject.

Colour psychology is not something I'm informed on so I can't be of much help.
Steam has what I imagine to be a very helpful guide for you (it is focused on character modelling but I'm sure you can apply it easily) support steampowered com/kb/9334-YDXV-8590/dota-2-workshop-character-art-guide.
Materials are in two parts (1) the colour and (2) the reflectiveness (if it's transparent then the opacity matters but we will address this later) cont
>>
>>8098190
cool.

how are the topics names?
I want to google some university lectures on them.
>>
File: perspective.gif (5 KB, 546x355) Image search: [Google]
perspective.gif
5 KB, 546x355
>>8098190
colour is handled as per the physics (colours absorbed and colours allowed to reflect) and the reflectiveness is just the percent of the INCOMING (as calculated from the source to object distance) that is reflected off the surface.

Polluted air can be imagined to be a transparent object from the source to the observer. You can generally ignore the particle nature of it and arbitrarily assign a coefficient air to tell you what percent of the light emitted is absorbed by the air to compliment the calculation of the light intensity at the observer. The colour of the air is a little trickier to work out but treating it much like the objects we can say that if it is a green colour when illuminated by a white light source and following the same procedure as before you may be able to do something with this. I'm not quite sure what governs the hue of a colour so you'll have to excuse that. Knowing how eyes work is a matter of googling "how do eyes work" and refining your search until you find what you want. Different times of day have different colours and can be deduced by the angle to the earth and looking at light spectra. I'm sure there are resources to this end. Geometry for artists is just geometry and highschool text books should help.

Perspective works by you defining first how far an object is relative to both the observer and at what angle it makes relative to an origin (middle of the picture) and then scaling appropriately. This is done using ratios of equivalent sides and isn't particularly hard assuming you know basic math.
>>
>>8098195
Topics: White light reflection and absorption.
Accurately drawing 3dimensional graphs may be a little tricky if you don't know your calculus but by all means just look for a multivariable calculus lecture and it should have some graph drawing.
Light intensity from a point source.
Atmospheric Optics.
This should just about cover it, good hunting
>>
>>8098131
Besel functions!
>>
>>8098210
cool.
thanks.
>>
>>8098218
Completely forgot to talk about the simple chemical structures!
You could start by googling molecular geometry to find bond angles and then following this up with "Simple organic molecules" or alternatively "ionic lattices" if you feel like you'd want to ease into it, it's a little fiddly but it is perfect if you want to practice your perspective drawing (and a little bit of geometry too)
>>
>>8098147

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering
Why the sky is blue and the sunset is red. (to answer your specific question, blue is filtered out over long distances of light traveling through Earth's atmosphere, making things in the distance appear reddish. The effect is actually caused by dust particles in the air, not molecules of nitrogen or oxygen. The effect is amplified (observable over much shorter distances) in dusty or smoggy or smoke filled areas with lots of particulate in the air)

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mie_scattering
This is why clouds are white.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyndall_effect
This is why milk is white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation
This tells you what color something will glow depending on it's temperature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference
Why thin films have rainbows on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision
I recommend reading this.

Keep in mind that all of these effects assume a source of white light, like the light coming from the sun. White light, of course, contains all the colors of light. If the source isn't white, then different things happen. If, for example, the sun only shone blue light, the rayleigh effect wound render the setting sun invisible to the naked eye.
>>
>>8098056
>become a better draftmen
Lrn2drafter
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.