[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much methane does an adult cow actually have? Let's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: cow-441627.jpg (25 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
cow-441627.jpg
25 KB, 590x350
How much methane does an adult cow actually have?

Let's say it it ate something and spontaneously combusted from within.

Would the concussive force produced be akin to a grenade and obliterate everything around it? Or would it be like a Dodongo in Zelda and just blow up a little and die?

I'm writing a story.
>>
>>8097998
They are literally Hindenburg waiting to explode.
>>
Technically, and this is from an ultra realistic scientific perspective mind you, cows have the equivalent of 100 tons of TNT or 1/2 the yield of an early atomic bomb packed to an area of about 6 square feet.
This is why farmers never combined traditional plowing with gas plows, due to the fact a simple malfunction could level a Country.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 712x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 712x400
>>8098007
>literally
>>
File: Hindenburg_disaster,_1937.jpg (264 KB, 1097x1300) Image search: [Google]
Hindenburg_disaster,_1937.jpg
264 KB, 1097x1300
>>8098035
MOO MOTHERFUCKER, MOO
>>
File: literally.png (950 KB, 1726x1098) Image search: [Google]
literally.png
950 KB, 1726x1098
I think not!!
>>
>>8097998
there's not much oxygen inside a cow, so they won't explode.

At best you'd get something like the hindenberg:>>8098062 instead of an explosion
>>
>>8098027
Fucking cows man
>>
>>8098027
This actually made me laugh a little. We should just stick matches in cow asses and drop them on other countries instead of actual bombs.
>>
methane is a serious concern with industrial cow and pig farmers. huge barns have exploded because of methane build up from the poo collection tanks.
>>
>>8097998
Not a lot, they aren't explosive. But over time they do produce enough to be a significant source of greenhouse gases.
Spontaneous combustion is pseudoscience, not a real thing. Documentation surrounding it can be compared to documentation surrounding ghosts or UFO's.

>Would the concussive force produced be akin to a grenade and obliterate everything around it?
Absolutely not.

Write more realistic stories, they're more interesting that way.

It'd be more realistic to say that a bunch of cows were in an airtight indoor feed lot, which had poor ventilation and accumulated enough of it, but even then it probably wouldn't be of high enough concentration to be combustible. Giant lagoons of excrement are very common on industrial stockyards, which do produce fumes that can incapacitate. It's not uncommon for farmhands to be walking near shit lagoons, pass out, and drown. It's also not uncommon for people to go in to save them and have them die too in the same way. Write about that.
>>
File: Untitled.png (13 KB, 355x292) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
13 KB, 355x292
>>8098078
wellaware1 is wellaware
>>
>>8098125
Thanks for the thorough explanation and suggestion, but nah. The story is about these genetically engineered clones with IR and chemical scanners who go back in time.

I was going to have the main character try to drop a cow on one, and then upon it missing, shooting a flaming arrow into it, to blow it up.

This being the only way to get an explosive element near one of the clones.
>>
Joking aside, our lust for beef is killing the planet, lol.
>>
File: mcdonalds-losers.jpg (22 KB, 318x431) Image search: [Google]
mcdonalds-losers.jpg
22 KB, 318x431
>>8097998
>I'm writing a story
>I can't estimate the methane production of a cow
>bcoz I can't into Google/Bing/Wikipedia
I predict failure and disengagement
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.