[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are scientists so bad with budgeting? In my experience (and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: piggy bank.jpg (38 KB, 247x210) Image search: [Google]
piggy bank.jpg
38 KB, 247x210
Why are scientists so bad with budgeting? In my experience (and I'm a postdoc at a top UK university) they get a grant then throw money at data generation with minimal planning until they've run out. I end up exasperated and spend lots of time trying to optimise how our funds are used in most of the projects I participate in.

Recently during a seminar one guy doing a presentation outlined his data generation strategy and another quipped "I know Anon will tell you that you've wasted half your budget" to general laughter of everyone present.

The area in question is genomics/genetics though I'm a bioinformatician with a statistics background.

Am I just a huge autist?
>>
>>8096337
no, you're just working with mediocre people who have never been introduced to any management skills.
>>
>>8096341
But I'm at a great institution and some of the people are among the most cited and well-known academics in their fields.

Where can I find the non-mediocre folks?
>>
>>8096354
>But I'm at a great institution and some of the people are among the most cited and well-known academics in their fields.
doesn't mean anything. good people come from other institutions, not from your own.
>Where can I find the non-mediocre folks?
in a high-performing company I guess.
>>
>>8096355
But how does one become a top-tier academic without any management skills or interest in them?

Are they just not very important to academic success?
>>
>Tfw did shitty in my A levels back in 2013 and now im starting a mixed science foundation course at a RG university

Wish me luck, I'm still unsure if I am retarded or not.
>>
1) Normies are retarded.

2) Normies are really retarded and should generally be castrated.

>>8096362
Every single bureaucreacy is run by incompetent psychopaths. Literally. A simple question, if universities are supposed to be designed around educating and research, why is there not one on the entire planet which has standardized education and quality control for their classes?

Instead I attend a university where at least 1/4 of my classes have been trash, and a 60 can get curved up to a B+.
>>
>>8096433
>2) Normies are really retarded and should generally be castrated.
your mother is live evidence of this
>>
File: ID_01a.jpg (119 KB, 500x768) Image search: [Google]
ID_01a.jpg
119 KB, 500x768
>>8096478
LOOK AT THIS CURVE. LOOK AT IT:

Final grades are uploaded along with all the scores.
I realized that you studied very hard so that you did very well on the multiple questions.
I adjusted the grading scheme as follows:
above 90: A
above 80 to 90: A-
above 74 to 80: B+
above 65 to 74: B
above 55 to 65: B-
above 45 to 55: C+
above 40 to 45: C
above 35 to 40: D+
above 30 to 35:D
0 to 30: F.

Please let us know should your final grade is not properly given.

THIS IS A JUNIOR YEAR ENGINEERING CLASS. NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8096337
if they were good with money they wouldn't be academics
>>
when something comes easy your entire life, it's hard to value it appropriately

this is why colleges still exist
>>
>>8096337
>Recently during a seminar one guy doing a presentation outlined his data generation strategy and another quipped "I know Anon will tell you that you've wasted half your budget" to general laughter of everyone present.

It seems like you have the reputation of a busybody.
>>
>>8096337

Most people are only good at their technical (job) focus. Management is actually tough to do if you are doing it right. And academics doesn't attract people are good at managing money. If they were, they would be in the private sector.
>>
Not every idea is a winner.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.