[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know anything about neuroscience here? I took on a stressful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: chess.jpg (3 MB, 3695x2466) Image search: [Google]
chess.jpg
3 MB, 3695x2466
Anyone know anything about neuroscience here?

I took on a stressful job recently, so I started playing chess online in my spare time - 20 games a day, for two weeks. A few days ago I started getting splitting headaches when I tried to play chess. Last night I woke up at 4:00 am and my brain was on fire. I thought I was having an aneurysm. I could not stop thinking/dreaming about chess. Easily the worst headache I've ever had.

I know I need to take a break, but what causes this to happen?
>>
>Anyone know anything about neuroscience here?
no. literally no one here does. you'll just get googled answers which you can easily find yourself.
stop being lazy.
>>
>>8095632
I mostly did pharmacology/drug chemistry, but I had to take some neuroscience, I wouldn't say I really know it, though.

Anyway, this could be something like migraines (did you also notice a very heightened (to a painful degree) sensitivity to sights and sounds?). If not, it sounds like what is called a thunderclap headache (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderclap_headache). You need to go to a doctor now. Statistically, it probably isn't a subarachnoid hemorrhage (anyeurism bursting in your brain), but if it is you're fucked unless you immediately seek attention. Did you vommit? That's another sign of a SA hemorrhage. Subarachnoid hemorrhages also generally come with what are called "sentinel headaches," which are headaches that are super severe, an often happen a couple weeks or days before the hemorrhage itself. If it's stress this could be a hypertensive emergency (high blood pressure causing the pain), which is also really not fucking good.

Another possibility is cluster headaches. How old are you and have you ever smoked (tobacco)? They generally last for an hour of less and are located on one part of the head (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache).

tl;dr: go to a doctor and get some scans if the doctor feels it's necessary.
>>
i dont know anything technical, but I've heard that playing mental chess in excess can literally make you go insane. Google whoever has the record for most simultaneous games played mentally and you'll find some stuff on this.
I'm sure you get my point and how it's relevant.
>>
>>8095671
>but I've heard that playing mental chess in excess can literally make you go insane
i don't think it's chess specifically. I think focusing on a single thing for a large amount of time can throw you off. I've actually had the same thing OP has had. If i played too much chess i'd have dreams about it and I couldn't put my brain on idle. if I tried to relax by watching tv or something i would start thinking about chess sequences and shit. It has also happened when cramming for math. Feels like i can't get any rem sleep.
tl;dr: don't overclock your brain it has shit fans.
>>
Chess is literally a pleb game don't play it
>>
>>8095759
Compared to what? Go?
>>
I've been playing like 10-20 games a day for months (often before bed or on a psychedelic), and recently I've been waking up a lot in the night to my brain actually reasoning through random (but plausible) positions. My ability to visualize stuff is usually utter shit, but in this half-awake state I can see the pieces on the board in my head with surprising clarity. If my thinking becomes too meta and I focus on the phenomenon itself, I "wake up" even more, and everything dissolves away like a dream would.
>>
>>8095793
I also have utter shit visualization skills, you make me want to find a puzzle to obsess over daily.
>>
>>8095632
>Last night I woke up at 4:00 am and my brain was on fire.
Thats normal for me, and I odont play chess
>>
>>8095684
>not getting totally absorbed in what you're doing, even dreaming about it, thinking about it all the time
You fucking pleb, you failed How to be a genius 101
>>
>>8095813
Do you have cluster headaches?
>>
>>8095632
testosterone
what you need to do is talk to an endocrinologist to get some chemical castration drugs
>>
>>8095632
ITT: OP is going to die.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.