[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2 prong to 3 prong adapter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Are these things safe? Am I going to burn my house down?
>>
i mean the 3rd prong is there for a reason
>>
>>8095271
Not an EE, but I can tell you what to google to research it on your own: ground vs neutral.
>>
>>8095296

The OP pic has a ground tho, right? You unscrew the outlet plate and plug in the adapter with the screw in the blue bracket.
>>
>>8095271
Not really, but it depends on how you use it...just like any electronic device.
>>
Depends, if your using the adapter in a point with no earth socket it doesnt really matter because you have no earth anyway. And if it does, buy one with an earth prong faggot
>>
>>8095317
I honestly did not know the intent of the tab, because I've only ever seen it misused in every picture or real-world instance I have ever seen one. Once I heard someone suggest to clip on your own ground lead to it ??
>>
>>8095319
>>8095321

I recently moved into a new apartment. It's a very old building, but nearly every room has regular 3 pronged outlets, except for the living room. Just want to plug my TV in.
>>
>>8095317
Yes, in theory. But the box has to be grounded then. In older homes (the ones with two-prong sockets) there might not be ground. There might not be a box.
>>
>>8095325
Well, the point of the earth is to stop any metal parts of your tv from becoming live by being a less resistive path for the electricity to take. 9 times out of ten you will be fine.
>>
>>8095329
>>8095332

Hmm alright, I won't mess around then.

I'll run an extension cord from another room into the living room (literally around the corner).
>>
>>8095335
Probs best for now. Just get a sparky to run an earth to the point and change it for a new one
>>
>>8095292
>i mean the 3rd prong is there for a reason
And that reason is to connect the metal shell of you appliance (or whatever) to the same utility transformer center-tap the neutral hooks to.
The idea is that if a hot wire comes loose inside your appliance, and hits the metal shell of the appliance, being grounded will create a complete circuit, and blow the fuse or breaker.
If your appliance (or whatever) doesn't have a metal shell, it doesn't matter.
In this case it also typically wouldn't have a third prong anyway.

>>8095322
>I honestly did not know the intent of the tab,
see:
>>8095317
>You unscrew the outlet plate and plug in the adapter with the screw in the blue bracket.
(except the bracket should be green, not blue)
This should connect the third prong to the ground lead of the receptacle.
The real problem here is that if you actually have a two-prong receptacle, the building wiring is older than Moses, and shouldn't be trusted in general.
>>
>>8095341
>>8095342

Thanks for the help guys
>>
>>8095271
You can screw it into a -metal- outlet plate if there is conductive metal conduit running, uninterrupted, back to your service panel (or other ground) and it will be grounded to that. In that case the conduit itself is a ground.

If those conditions aren't met, your shit ain't earthed! Don't plug your PC into that!
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.