[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ls there any lRC out there where l could ask small questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 512616.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
512616.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
ls there any lRC out there where l could ask small questions about maths or/and physics?
>>
no. i used to believe in a world of infinite cool internet people as well. doesn't exist.

gl, OP.
>>
Do what I do. Look up the math/physics dept on a random college's website, pick a likely email address from the staff directory and tell them you're a student in one of their classes and you're curious about _____.

Helps to cross reference with the course catalog, so you can see what classes they're teaching and lie more effectively. All that info is usually public.
>>
>>8094276
why don't ask your own teachers instead? lmao
>>
>>8094276
you're a genius, do you have some emails to share that don't take much time to respond? :p
>>8094291
most of them are shit
>>
>>8094298
None that I know for certain are teaching a class this term. You'll have to settle for being taught how to fish.

If you're *really* interested in learning about a subject but don't know where to start (or just want some structure), another handy line is "I'm thinking about taking your class next term, but I'm already taking X other classes and want to make sure I can handle the workload. Do you think you could send me a copy of the syllabus so I can make an informed decision?"

That gets you a self-study guide, tailored to a specific textbook (mentioned in the first couple of paragraphs), which you can rent on Amazon.
>>
>>8094379
People post class syllabi all over the internet. You seem really proud of some sort of loophole you think you've found, but it sounds pointless.
>>
>>8094257
Your mileage will vary but you can try

freenode #math
or efnet #math

freenode #math seems to be the most active between the two, but the quality of answers depends on who's there and anyone takes the time to help. YMMV as some guys are jerks, others are helpful.

Best place to ask is stackexchange or MO if you have research level questions.
>>
>>8096334
MO?
>>
>>8094455

most of 4chan is underage
>>
>>8096380
MathOverflow but that is only for research level questions.

Stick to Math StackExchange for non-research level questions. It's superior to the help you'll get on freenode, but freenode can be nice if you have a quick question.
>>
>>8096502
thank you kindly, l'm actually using freenode right now and you're right lt's perfect for quick questions
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.