[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the logic behind pic related? I'm sure there is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: why.png (8 KB, 567x410) Image search: [Google]
why.png
8 KB, 567x410
What is the logic behind pic related?
I'm sure there is a reason for it, but I was never taught it and its always bothered me.

For example, whenever I do the quad formula
if -4ac turns out possessive (and following the Order of operations exponents, multiply, add/subtract) I always end up with something looking like 17 153, and multiply instead of adding.

Can anyone explain why we are taught to write like this?
>>
>>8094202
>possessive
positive. Fuck auto correct.
>>
File: 1463346002696.gif (177 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
1463346002696.gif
177 KB, 500x419
>a - b(-c) = ab
>>
>>8094217
8 -5(-5) if you follow the order of operations and multiply -5 * -5 the problem now looks like 8 25.

Basically why is it that when 2 positive numbers are next to each other, by default it's assumed you are suppose to multiply, but when 2 negative numbers are together you are suppose to subtract?

Example:
if a and b are both positive, and you see
[math]ab[/math]
You know to multiply, even though if you write it out ab comes out as
[math]+a+b[/math]

and
[math]-a-b[/math]
means
[math] -a - b [/math]
and not
[math] -a * -b [/math]
>>
>>8094233
Or in short, why do two positive numbers next to each other = multiply, when two negative numbers written the same exact way = subtract one from the other.
>>
a and b are 1 or irrelevantly converge to a state function = 1
>>
>>8094233
a - b(-c) = a - (-bc) = a + bc
>>
>>8094238
>why do two positive numbers next to each other = multiply, when two negative numbers written the same exact way = subtract one from the other
convention. also, you wouldn't write 31=3
>>
File: 1364186050366.gif (944 KB, 264x320) Image search: [Google]
1364186050366.gif
944 KB, 264x320
>>8094255
>irrelevantly converge
This
Sorry my examples suck so much.
I really tired.

I'm not talking about math, just the way we write math.

Here, lets say:
let a = 1 b = 6 and c = -1

If I give you
[math]ab[/math]
and you replace the numbers it comes out as
[math]+1+6[/math]
Why, logically would you assume you should be multiplying instead of adding?

another example:
[math]√b^2 -4ac [/math]
after solving for b, then solving -4ac you get
[math]√36 4[/math]
I know you are suppose to write it
[math]√36 + 4[/math]
but why does the + suddenly become visible?

Why not multiply the two numbers like we all know to in the first example?

Does that make sense?
>>
>>8094269
>convention.
Ok but from what logic did we create this convention?

>also, you wouldn't write 31=3
why not? when we already write statements like
+8+8 = 64
>>
>>8094202
wtf is wrong with that image. the second step is retarded
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.