[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If maths is just a set of rules made by people, how can you call
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1463581776897.gif (11 KB, 375x573) Image search: [Google]
1463581776897.gif
11 KB, 375x573
If maths is just a set of rules made by people, how can you call it objective when people could change those rules?
>>
>>8093359
math exists whether or not we discovered the "rules"
>>
they aren't invented they're discovered, please commit sudoku
>>
>>8093368
This. Math is discovered, not invented.

You can in fact define your own sets of mathematical rules across a space you define, and this is often done in fields such as modeling. However, such systems will either be a subset of an overall vector space, or will be inconsistent.

(Took linear algebra 101 eight years ago so I know what I'm talking about)
>>
>>8093368
>>8093382

> /sci/: the place where deep philosophical questions are answered with absolute conviction and certainty by underage troglodytes

truly a place that i'm to be a part of
>>
>>8093390
Ikr your so smart ;)
>>
File: blushing.png (9 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
blushing.png
9 KB, 493x402
>>8093390
Underaged brainlet detected.
>>
>>8093368
>>8093382
>>8093374
>>>/r/badphilosophy

They're invented but basic maths were invented to model physical reality.
>>
>>8093575
it's more like bad language. I think they are trying to say that the relationships between things are there, we just invented the language(s) to best explain those relationships.
>>
Is all maths truly a discovery though? I understand most is, but for example matrices; I had gathered they were created on the basis of man made rules? Is this incorrect?
>>
>>8093359
they're axioms, otherwise we'd have to prove the premise ad infinitum, which no one can be arsed to do

>>8093368
>>8093382
>>8093374
wrong
>>
>>8093695
Matrices, and vectors, and real numbers, and integers, are all constructions based on universal axioms.

The structures themselves are "invented" but all the things we discover about them are very much discovered
>>
Mathematicss exists ontologically.
>>
>>8093359
Maths is only "objective" in the sense that it applies self-referential rules consistently
>>
>>8093720
> which no one can be arsed to do
*can't be done
>>
You're right OP maths are fucking bullshit they really need to stop teaching that made up shit in school I'm fucking sick of my high school teachers telling me I should switch to special need education.
>>
the axioms are invented

the logical consequences of your chosen axioms are discovered
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 450x495) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 450x495
>>8094695
>>
If you can figure a way to count to 10, that involves inventing something to do so any other way, go ahead.
>>
Well they are objective in a sense that should you accept those axioms, theorems do truly follow from them

Of course, if you accept different set of axioms then you get different systems of theorems. Are those systems intresting is another question.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.