[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
During the summer my room gets super fucking hot from the sun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image_21846.jpg (328 KB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
image_21846.jpg
328 KB, 1800x1800
During the summer my room gets super fucking hot from the sun beating on my room in the second half of the day . We have AC and there is a vent in my room but it still gets super warm especially with a computer going.

I notice that when I walk out into the hall from my room, that there is a noticeable different temp, much cooler in the hall.

If I have a fan positioned at my room doorway, should I have it positioned in or out to make my room as cool as possible, and should it be directly at the door bounary or offset in some way?
>>
For the record, I think I should have it pointing into my room. I figure that the air will be coolest lower down outside my door, and forcing that air into my room will help the most, but I don't know if that is helpful with the AC also blowing into my room
>>
since you dont have a source of cold air input, only heat input (computer + sunlight and hot air from outside) you'll want to have the fan blowing cold air into your room

blowing the air out wont help since new hot air will replace it immediately.

blowing cold air in will reduce the temperature of the hot air in your room
>>
>>8093024
oh i missed that you have an AC vent. then what you could try is positioning the fan over the AC vent so it passes that cold air better through your room.

i tilt a small desk fan over my AC vent so it isnt blocking the grate and it blows cold air all through my room, whereas with the vent alone, it just hovers around that area.

since you have a lot of heat sources this would probably work best, and just leave your door open for air circulation
>>
>>8093028
does it change anything if the vent is in the ceiling pointing down
>>
>>8093034
not really, you just need a fan to spread that air around.

it might be easier to just have a fan blowing air at you.

i'd keep your door open, keep blinds on the windows blocking the sunlight, and have a fan circulating air around the room

you could try having a fan in the middle of your doorway blowing cold air in, i'm not sure whats best

im in a similar situation with my always-hot radeon GPU, full sun-rape in both my windows, and my plasma tv produces a lot of heat too.

my room is usually 5 Celsius hotter than the rest of the house and is always noticeably hot

i found the best for me was to have a fan tilting over my floor vent and blowing the AC air up and into the room, and to keep my door open as much as possible to equalize the room temps. also i have thick blinds now that block most of the sunlight heat into my room.
>>
From thermodynamic standpoint:
Block sunlight
Keep door open
Blow fan on you

That's about it.
>>
Get a Maxwell's Demon and position it in your doorway. Problem solved.
>>
>>8093006
Use a fan to blow the hot air away from the computer and away from your room. The hot air will eventually reach the thermostat and make the a/c kick in sooner. While the a/c is running, your room's air pressure will be higher than the pressure in the hall (why you feel air coming out under the door when it's on) so getting the air away from your room makes more sense.

Or you could just blow the air on you directly.
>>
File: CROPFanDeathWarning.png (225 KB, 864x487) Image search: [Google]
CROPFanDeathWarning.png
225 KB, 864x487
>>8093006
If bodies are exposed to electric fans or air conditioners for too long, it causes the bodies to lose water and causes hypothermia. If directly in contact with air current from a fan, this could lead to death from an increase of carbon dioxide saturation concentration and decrease of oxygen concentration. The risks are higher for the elderly and patients with respiratory problems. From 2003 to 2005, a total of 20 cases were reported through the CISS involving asphyxiations caused by leaving electric fans and air conditioners on while sleeping. To prevent asphyxiation, timers should be set, wind direction should be rotated, and doors should be left open.
>>
>>8094107
everyone should listen to this anon. my uncle died from this, it's serious business
>>
>>8094119
Can confirm. I died from this.
>>
>>8094119
Can confirm, I'm a paramedic and last summer I had to pick up someone who died from fan-induced CO2 poisoning.
>>
>>8094107
This is wild stuff, people never seem to stop amazing me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death
>>
>>8094107
>>8094119
>>8094121
>>8094150

gooks detected
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 600x600
>>8094107
>>
>>8094185
how do you figure? You literally couldn't be further from the truth though
>>
>>8094208
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death
>>
It's much more efficient to exhaust hot air than to introduce cold air to the system via intake.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.