[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Math is more rote memorization than biology. Prove me wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Math is more rote memorization than biology. Prove me wrong.

Forget an equation? Get a 0 and fail the exam.

Forget a fact? Write what you know, get part marks, and move on to the next question.

Who punishes who MORE for failing to memorize something?

>math
>real science
>>
>>8092954
>Forget a fact? Write what you know, get part marks, and move on to the next question.

Biofags really due enjoy their word vomit, don't they?
>>
>>8092954
>Forget an equation
It doesn't matter if you forget the equation. You can always derive it.
>>
>>8092954
I am not going to lie, there is some memorization in math. A lot of the times you need to memorize postulates and the most immediately useful theorems so that you can do anything.

The difference between bio and math is that the things you memorize in math there is a sense of logical continuation. Many propositions immediately follow from another so as long as you are sharp and remember just the fundamentals, you can come up with the rest.

In a recent test of set theory that I took, to prove a proposition I needed to use a tautology that at the time I did not remember was given to us. I constructed the tautology that would make the proof possible and then made the entire truth table for it, calling it a lemma, and then finishing my proof as an immediate consecuence of the lemma.

Then I checked my notes and that was one of the first tautologies we were ever taught.

However, if you forget what is in the left side of the heart you cannot take one of your classmates and fucking dissect him there to find out. You absolutely need to know that or else you are fucked forever, as you will never be able to derive it.

If you are asked to name something, you will never be able to derive the train of thought of the biologist from 300 years ago who named it, you better remember that because you will never derive it.
>>
>>8093114
>You can always derive it.

In a timed exam?

also timed exams are shit
>>
The professors in my math and physics courses always allowed people to bring formula sheets, so long as they didn't include example problems.
>>
>>8093135

You know what people who did math professionally used to be called? Computers. I have no fucking clue why they still torture humans with this menial work we automated years and years ago.

No one highers a professional engineer who want to calculate stresses on paper, or an accountant who wants to add up thousands of rows of figures by hand. We use computers to do that work. But no schools still torture all new students with this shit generation after generation. It would be like forcing all people who want to learn engineering to take a class in blacksmithary because a long time ago it used to be useful, or making people learn how to construct a processor from logic gates before they can get a job requiring the use of a word processor. It's just madness.

How many man lives in time has the human race waited learning useless skills and drills this is the real genicide. And almost everyone who learns math never uses it professionally and those who do don't do it on fucking paper.

Math should not progress on paper past times tables and division except for those who wish to flagellate themselves with such. By all means still teach the principles and the skills to use math in tools like mathworks but unless your a computer scientist actually writing the code to do math you really don't need to learn the minutiae.
>>
>>8092954
(You)
>>
>>8093184
>You know what people who did math professionally used to be called? Computers.

Those people did not do math, they did computations. All the "math" you are talking about is computations.

If you are going to deny the usefulness of counting and arithmethic operations then you are retarded, sorry you have to learn it this way.

If you mean stuff like algebra then I agree with you a little, that should not be compulsory. To be completely honest if people could choose not to learn algebra then that would mean that people capable of studying the high paying jobs after high school would be so small that my salary would be 10 times higher, so by all means, stop teaching algebra to kids for a better world for me.

But while you are saying this shit to me, in school I was forced to learn about biology, the most boring piece of shit I have ever seen in my life.

Before you take math off the curriculum, you better take that satanic shit you call biology.
>>
>>8093145
>>In a timed exam?
Yes.
>also timed exams are shit
Yes, for math.
>>
Biologist here, to be honest I don't see how you can make it through sophomore year of undergrad by memorization. The whole point of most genetics courses is to weed out the idiots that try to do that
>>
>>8093205
>But while you are saying this shit to me, in school I was forced to learn about biology, the most boring piece of shit I have ever seen in my life.

Not him, but I find it surprising how anyone could find biology that uninteresting... genetics, neuroscience and all that are extremely interesting in my opinion. Do you have no curiosity regarding how living organisms work, how you and your brain works and the implications of that understanding? Maybe it was the way it was taught, or the teacher? Many people are deterred because they might have had a shit experience with a specific science. I guess it's interesting at the very least how variable people's interests can be.
>>
>>8093219
>genetics, neuroscience and all that are extremely interesting in my opinion.

We touched on genetics for like 3 weeks, did the table shit to predict the probability of a gene becoming active, etc. All we did with neuroscience was memorize parts and vague processes.

It was shit. It was memorize this bunch of bullshit and then throw it all up on the test. A+.

>Do you have no curiosity regarding how living organisms work

Could not give two shits.

>how you and your brain works and the implications of that understanding?

Could not give two shits.

Another thing I don't like about biology was how people who were complete total retards everywhere else somehow did good at Biology.

Back then we did physics, we did OChem and we did math. There was a kid who was shit at all of those things but then when Biology class came up he wouldn't even wait to raise his hands, he would answer every single question the teacher asked. Even though he was demonstrably retarded, now he was a pretend-genius whose only goal was to memorize the entire book before the class to then show off to a bunch of kids who did not give a shit.

My opinion is that if you make the devil shine, then you are shit two. Biology made this retard shine, therefore biology is shit.
>>
>>8093264
>Could not give two shits.
Fair enough. Interests are interests.

>Another thing I don't like about biology was how people who were complete total retards everywhere else somehow did good at Biology.

Had the exact opposite experience 2bh. We had a retard in high school who paid attention to physics and learned how to apply the methods taught in class to similar exercises in tests which saved him from failing the class. He ate shit in bio (and a bit in chem) because he couldn't understand jack shit, and he couldn't even answer the most rudimentary logic exercises in a test because of that and ended up failing. I guess it does depend on the experience you have had and the way something is taught.

There's one thing the people in your story and mine have in common though, and it is that they do not make it past high school or first year in university. Thanks for story time.
>>
File: 5-21-Shit-Eating-Grin.png (723 KB, 1105x825) Image search: [Google]
5-21-Shit-Eating-Grin.png
723 KB, 1105x825
>>8092954
B8 better faggot
>>
>>8093264
>I couldn't even memorize simple things in my high school biology course, whereas an interested but retarded guy could, therefore biology is shit
Lol'd.
>>
File: image.png (3 KB, 168x168) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 KB, 168x168
>>8092954
>>
>>8093154
>The professors in my math and physics courses always allowed people to bring formula sheets
mechanical or civil?
>>
>>8093184

That is not math though, you are thinking of computation.

The ease of which people can apply mathematical models to solve problems in our every days lives is only becoming increasingly more obvious and more feasible with more advanced and abundant technology.
>>
>>8092954
If math was how you described, then that would be the case. Too bad Mathematics is not that AT ALL. You don't memorize any equations at all. In math you learn a few definitions and theorems. If you can do the proof or do the computations, full marks. If not, write as much of the proof and/or computations as you can and get part marks. It's based on the definitions, theorems, and methodologies so if you forget the details or fuck up, you still get part marks. Physics and engineering require you to know equations but even then, I'm pretty sure they let you have formula sheets most of the time.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.