[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
self-teaching physics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 9781439048443_l.jpg (29 KB, 313x400) Image search: [Google]
9781439048443_l.jpg
29 KB, 313x400
Hey /sci/, how can a high school graduate start self-learning over the summer to prepare for the start of a Physics degree? I've just completed the AP Physics E&M course, and pretty much have my mind set on physics. But, I'm not exactly sure where I should go from here. Are there any good textbooks that you guys can suggest I move on to? What topics/math should I learn next? Pic related is the textbook that we used, for context.
>>
Khaaaaan!
>>
Watch professor leonard's calculus videos
>>
>>8084446
>But, I'm not exactly sure where I should go from here.

Math:
-Do you know vector calculus? If not learn that.
-Linear Algebra is generally the next step.

Physics:
- Maybe go through a slightly more advanced take on E&M. At the level of like Purcell. (You can try Griffiths although you will likely be lost without knowledge of diff eqs)
- Special Relativity or General Wave mechanics is also an option.
>>
The Road to Reality teaches undergrad physics in one book.
>>
>>8084461
Adding to my own response, if you don't know Special Relativity then definitely do that. Then go look through the later part of E&M again. Special relativity is really significant in Electrodynamics.
>>
>>8084461
>>8084467
Thanks, I think I'll get to learning multivariable next, then probably get to the Physics. Do you have any good textbook suggestions?
>>
>>8084460
Are these actually good? Are there any supplementary problems that I can do to solidify my understanding?
>>
>>8084446
I hate that fucking book.

My Physics 2 class was a short term 1 day a week class that was like 4 hours long or maybe even longer.

1 day every Friday for like 6 weeks. We covered like 2 or 3 chapters a week.

I actually passed god know why.
>>
>>8084446
>Pic related is the textbook that we used

And you finished all 39 chapters? The next thing to learn would be modern physics. I would recommend getting Eisberg & Resnick's "Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles" working through it.

For other books, check out the wikia:
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations
>>
>>8084539
No, we've only gone through the chapters relating to Electromagnetics and Mechanics. We pretty much stopped at Faraday's Law and Electromagnetic Indudction. Do you think I should attempt to finish it before I move on?
>>
>>8084694
No. Move on to more sophisticated books, but not necessarily more sophisticated topics.
>>
>>8084446
Oh god that book is absolute cancer.
>>
>>8084790
>>8084695
Do you guys agree with the wiki's textbook recommendations?
>>
Depends on what exactly you want to do. I'm guessing you want to be competitive in your classes, so that you can stand out to your professors and hopefully get some non-trivial looking research experience. Keeping that in mind, focus on areas that will put you ahead of the other Physics majors.

If I did it again I would want to be MUCH better at programming before I entered. Also, beside the obvious math courses that will help (Linear Algebra, DiffyQ's, Vector Calc) an area that is often not focused on in physics undergrad(or handled rigorously AT ALL) is Probability and Statistics. Having a good handle on this will make the hardest classes in Upper Div(Stat Mech and Quantum) waaaay easier.

tldr learn:
Matlab or Mathematica (look for "by example" books) - Matlab is way more prevalent in industry but Mathematica is used a lot by Physicists and Mathematicians.
C++ or Python, One is basically need to know.

It might be worthwhile to become familiar with Unix environment programming. If you have a Mac search how to use the Terminal application. Likewise, if you're on a PC consider downloading an emulator like Cygwin or accessing a server of some kind (maybe one on your future school?) via Putty.

Good luck, bruv
>>
For what specific reason do people major in raw physics instead of applied)?
>>
>>8085009
You mean like "Engineering Physics"? Because Mathematical Physicists look down on Physicists who look down on Engineering Physicists who are likely in it for the easiest way out of a degree they regret and just want to go to work and get a pay check so they can become wage slaves sooner
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.