[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book worth picking up? I'm currently almost done
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (460 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
460 KB, 640x1136
Is this book worth picking up? I'm currently almost done with calc 2 and am interested in learning more about proofs. I haven't really done many at all before, but I have heard this book is a good introduction to them.
>>
>>8083912
I thought it was pretty good as an intro to proofs, don't stick to the ideas as if they're gospel, but it helped me learn proofs.
>>
>>8083912
It's excellent. Pick up Rudin's introductory text to accompany it so you can practice with real mathematics.
>>
>>8083912
It exposes a lot of proofs by way of number theory. I found it boring and a bit dry. I didn't care to continually prove useless number theoretic results early on and lost interest. Also the proofs are just tedious and boring. I'd recommend discrete mathematics by epp or Rosen. It has a wide range of subjects and teaches proofs that'll help in higher level courses.
>>
If you need a textbook to teach you how to prove something, you should just give up on mathematics now and save your time
>>
>>8083932
>discrete mathematics by epp or Rosen

>>>/g/tfo
>>
>>8083954
You never looked at those books so you gtfo. You're faggot in combinatorics class that doesn't understand what Ramsey theory is & later complains in functional analysis
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>8083953
>>
>>8083953
This desu. Unless you were born with an innate understanding of mathematics you may as well quit now.
>>
>>8083986
:(
>>
>>8083986
>born with an innate understanding of mathematics
nice meme
>>
Look for Richard hammacks book of proof. Probably the best proof book. It's free too. My uni uses Ted sundstrom or some shit.
>>
Yes, that's a great book
>>
>>8083986
Truu, I asked my newborn son what the sum of all intagers was and he didn't even respond, so I shoved him back up into his mother. You're either born with it or not fa[math] [/math]m
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.