[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>notecard stack from one semester of real analysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>notecard stack from one semester of real analysis
>>
>>8080175
> notecards
why?

I can rarely fit a proof o a single page
>>
>>8080175
>needing this shit
You're either a woman or ready to fail.
>>
File: binder.jpg (250 KB, 768x1365) Image search: [Google]
binder.jpg
250 KB, 768x1365
>>8080175
>notecards
hows middle school
>>
File: IMG_20160517_083827.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_083827.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>notecards for real analysis
Its like you dont want to succeed
>>
>>8080199

o shit I have that shankar book.
>>
File: suc.png (6 KB, 393x160) Image search: [Google]
suc.png
6 KB, 393x160
>>8080175
you are like little baby
>>
>>8080238

What am I looking at here?
>>
>he doesn't make flash cards as well as writing down his notes from the day word for word 5 more times when he gets home

how does it feel to not have straight a's?
>>
>>8080320
>tfw don't study
>straight As
>>
>>8080320
I don't care about straight A's. I have a guaranteed 6 figure job due to family connections.
>>
CSfag here, have to take real analysis in the fall, hope I don't fuck up
>>
>>8080320
Why flash cards?
This is math.
What are you writing on these?
>>
>>8080240
Anki my friend.
>>
>>8080341
So do I.

>>8080344
I do it for all classes. Math, I just have the entire step by step instructions to solve a random problem on the back.
>>
>>8080175
>notecards

maybe you should switch major
>>
i have a real analysis final on thursday. haven't started studying, didn't attend class for two months.

buddy gave me his flashcards and course notes. can i do it /sci/?

by that i mean get a C
>>
Flashcards are incredibly useful in Real Analysis to learn your definitions and important theorems. That way, when you're writing a proof you can basically recall, "Oh I know what Theorem I can use to prove this Theorem! It follows from the Intermediate Value Theorem" or "Well I remember that a sequence is convergent if and only if it is Cauchy because I memorized that theorem so if I can show this sequence converges, then I know it's Cauchy."

So you aren't necessarily memorizing how to solve problems with flashcards but rather the important facts like definitions and theorems of the class to help you make the connections for new problems.
>>
>>8080391
Or you could, you know, do what normal non-retarded people do and just study your reference text?
>>
>>8080175

>he takes notes

lol
>>
>>8080360
>step by step
>real analysis
Poo in loo. You might get As but you won't learn anything, Pajeet.
>>
>>8080382
I recently passed ODE course that I never attended and did no homework. Was pretty tough to learn the entire thing in 2 days though.
>>
>studying

get a load of this brainlet.
>>
>>8080557
Different Guy. How do I learn anything (in that context)?

Solving problems, re-proving parts, memorizing definitions by heart, keeping a log (what have i learned from this example/ what are important edge cases or cases to consider)?
>>
File: random google image.jpg (243 KB, 1650x1139) Image search: [Google]
random google image.jpg
243 KB, 1650x1139
WTF is wrong with you people? Just use a fucking laptop with an internet connection. You have the world on tap. Unless you're a retard, you'll be able to type faster than you can write.
>>
>>8080343
>CSfag here, have to take real analysis in the fall, hope I don't fuck up

5 bucks that you are not in the US.

CS in the US is just too shit to teach actual mathematics to CS people because of the

>You don't need to be smart to code xD, everyone can do it. Writing python scripts is the same as predicting the motion of planets in C.

meme.
>>
>>8080951
>type faster than you can write.

>typing
>not just googling the theorems as your professor mentions them and then copy pasting the proposition and proof.

How does it feel to live in the dark ages?
>>
File: 1463518259102736911856.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1463518259102736911856.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
1 undergrad degree
>>
>>8080346
I used Anki to learn Arabic. It was ok. I prefer having the notecards in my hands and writing the definitions/theorems.
>>
>>8081136
Allahu akbar
>>
>>8080360
Do you think you learned how to solve 300 different types of problems in a semester of analysis. Why would you need so many cards?
>>
>>8080559
>Comparing a final in ODE to real analysis

You excited to start sophomore year, anon?
>>
>>8080391
How about just making the assigned exercises?
>>
>>8080970
Why would you need real analysis to do CS?

Sounds like a good optional class, but it certainly isn't required for most fields of CS research.

Genuinely curious why someone in
>Theoretical CS
>Programming Languages
>Compilers
>Software Engineering
>Networks
or
>Security
would need to know the foundations of calculus.
>>
File: 1460141821540.jpg (550 KB, 646x1002) Image search: [Google]
1460141821540.jpg
550 KB, 646x1002
>>8080175
what's with all the hate on notecards? I don't use them, but if it works for someone then it works.

>engiqueer here
>>
>>8081178
One application I've seen is in the analysis of algorithms. The "rigorous" definition of big-oh etc. use "limits".
>>
File: notes.jpg (90 KB, 633x960) Image search: [Google]
notes.jpg
90 KB, 633x960
>>8081013
1 undergrad degree.
>>
My professor's slides are better structured and more comprehensive than my notes will ever be.

Thanks.pdf
>>
>>8080175
>notecards
Have fun arranging them.
I'd rather use a notebook (small laptop)
(CS FTW)
>>
>>8080970
Lel
>You don't need to be smart to code xD, everyone can do it. Writing python scripts is the same as predicting the motion of planets in C.
What is this. Logic is the foundation of CS. No logic, no cs. Simple as that.
>>
>>8081189
Because
>They're small, hard to maneuver
>Very easy to loose
>Very tedious to sort
>Very tedious to find the needed notecard
>>
>>8080980
Some prof like to block the Internet, hell even my college (I dropped out, changing school) have blocked access to the Internet (You need a day pass).
>>
>>8081204
An entire semester of real analysis to learn limits, which are taught in calc?
>>
>>8081252
That's why you use flashcard software.

>>8080175
Flashcards are great for all subjects, just gotta know how and why to use them. Fuck the haters
>>
>>8081222
It has been proven that writing something down helps you remember it. Take notes
>>
>>8080238
Is Anki that good? I've been debating on using it but I have a hard time imagining how you could do quantum flash cards and stuff. Can you do LaTeX for equations?
>>
>>8081336

It has also been proven than trying to do two things at once means you do both things badly. I prefer paying attention.
>>
>>8081247
Motion of planets would be fine in Python, probably best in MATLAB. You need C for actual interesting software implementations, not fun tools like motion of planets. Only reason you may need C is if you're going to implement your matrix multiplication on a GPU or something.
>>
>>8081341
So the teacher does the two tasks of writing and talking well enough that you don't have time to take notes? Further, you can't find any time in the lecture that isn't new information? Stop justifying being lazy.
>>
>>8081348

slides?
>>
>>8081340
Yeah you can use latex, video, pictures, audio and pretty much anything you can imagine
>>
>>8081341
Same. That's why I keep notes. It forces me to pay constant attention to what the teacher is saying; otherwise, my attention tends to wander or I get distracted.
>>
>>8080970
I feel bad for perpetuating this when I was younger and didn't understand math or computer science. :(
>>
>>8080238
>Anki
memes
>>
>>8081658
y
>>
>>8081341
Goddamn this is retarded.

So much research has been done on how people learn. Please produce the study that says you can learn better by not writing stuff down.

>you can't
>>
>>8081670
>>8081670
Not him, but research is about averages. What works best on average is very different from what works best for you or him or me.
It's like saying niggers have an average IQ of 30. But what does that tell you about one you meet in the street? He could very well have an IQ of 180.
>>
>>8080238
care to share senpai?

I just wanna see how the pros would make cards. I've tried making cards but not sure if they're formatted effectively.
>>
>>8080786
PAJEET GET OUT REEE
>>
>>8080238

Aww yiss muh anki

Anyone tried to study purely by making anki cards instead of writing down notes?
>>
>>8081341

You're thinking of context switching.

Writing down notes is not 'multitasking'
>>
>>8082664
Honestly I'd never taken notes until I took calculus and even then, that's just for equations. I was not in the business of not paying attention because I was writing, and instead conceptualized the ideas and then memorized the equations (until I could conceptualize those too).
>>
>>8083798
It's not that hard to listen and jot down notes simultaneously.
>>
>>8080175
>taking notes on notecards like you're in high school again
>>
>>8083816
It was hard for me.
>>
>>8083825
I'm sorry. You should still stop pushing the false dichotomy between taking notes and really paying attention/taking care to conceptualize things. These things are far from mutually exclusive.
>>
>>8083834
They were for me. I don't really know what to tell you. I am not lying. I tried taking notes. It never helped. So I only did so for things I needed to memorize before I could conceptualize them instead of reciting them from memory.
>>
>>8083834
>>8083852
I never really saw the help of taking notes when I had a reference text. I could just review that instead of reviewing my notes. What edge does it give you? I am not being an asshole, I am trying to get the point. I always thought it was just for stupid people who would have to memorize it all before a test and then forget it the next day, only to fail the final but pass because OK rest of grades.
>>
>>8083860
That's a fair question. For one thing, I think it's nice to have a short handwritten reference where I can quickly and easily locate and verify some detail I may have forgotten. It's also personalizable, so if there's something that didn't make immediate sense to me but clicked a few minutes later, I can scribble in a little reminder of my train of thought as I go. My profs also don't follow along with a reference text exactly 100% of the time.
>>
>>8083868
I know, and I get that. But instead of going, "okay, let me refresh on topic X" and going to notes, I've always benefited from going to the section on topic X and then skimming through until I find what I'm looking for. It also rocks because it lets you easily recall the evolution of concepts (because you'll skim over Ch 1 Sec 2 - Ch 1 Sec 4 until you find what you're looking for, and sometimes you'll find things you hadn't even noticed you'd forgotten. I'd add personal notes sometimes, baby ones, but only in the actual book. Not like, my own little scratch pad. Just right next to the paragraph or draw on the figures.
>>
>>8083868
>>8083893
Basically, I was more pro- annotate the text and review that than pro-notetaking.
>>
File: trash.png (116 KB, 934x580) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
116 KB, 934x580
>>8082646
Sure thing mang, I suck desu. Over the summer I'm gonna try improve on it. I have some flash cards with 4 page derivations. Keep em short and simple, and use the cloze function. It's a god send.
>>8082661
Me basically, I "take" notes in class so my attention doesn't drift, go home, open the book read that and make the flash cards of off them. Then use the flash cards as the only revision.
>>
File: analytic_combinatorics.png (73 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
analytic_combinatorics.png
73 KB, 188x268
>>8081204
If you take a more serious course in the analysis of algorithms that doesn't blow off all of the details with hand-wavy Big-O crap, you'll find that a background in real analysis is extremely useful.
>>
Just on the topic of note-taking and notecards, what I usually do is read the section before lecture and take notes, then take notes in class, then work the exercises at the end of the chapter, then write all relevant theorems/definitions on note cards and drill myself with the note cards. That is, write something like "Mean Value Theorem" or whatever on a card and then do a proof of it on a whiteboard to make sure I can prove whatever theorem I need to. It's pretty autistic and takes a while but I'm a retard so I basically have to.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.