[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this possible? Also >english newspapers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (254 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254 KB, 960x720
How is this possible?
Also
>english newspapers
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafting
>>
>Australian newspaper
>>
you can do it with oranges too
also any fruit-bearing tree
[math]grafftin'[/math]
>>
File: grafting.jpg (91 KB, 670x503) Image search: [Google]
grafting.jpg
91 KB, 670x503
Plants are really simple.
Like, extremely simple.
You can stick part of a plant onto another plant,
and it'll just grow there as part of the first plant.

Nobody eats apples grown from seed. There's way to much variance and almost all of them end up disgusting.
All apples grown for directly eating are grafted, so every apple of a given variety is a genetic clone of all other apples of the same variety.
>>
>>8076485
The tree was a whore
>>
>>8076776
you gan even graft apples on pear and vice versa. It gives interesting outcomes.
>>
>>8076531
Beat me to it
>>
>>8076776
How advanced of a process is this, can I do this at home
>>
>>8076485
It's a hexagonal close pack, minimises thr space between each fruit, happen in crystal lattices too
>>
>>8077007
>How advanced of a process is this,
Borderline trivial.
>can I do this at home
Yes. Google it.
>>
Another cool thing about apple trees is that they're what's know as 'extreme heterozygotes', which means that during pollination the genes of the newly formed seeds are completely scrambled and each of the trees they eventually grow into will have apples that may look and taste completely different from both the parents and each other. The only way to get the same type of apples from more than one tree is to take cuttings and graft them - so when you see a huge barrel of apples that all look the same, even though they came from different trees they are technically all from the same organism, which has been sliced up and transplanted onto other root stocks like some kind of immortal vegetoid parasite.
>>
>>8076485

Apples are genetically strange things. To my understanding they constantly hybridize, producing different effects, so one in ag business has to be careful to re-produce the "same variety" of apple. There are people whose job it is to constantly sample apples, spit it out in the bucket, and move on to the next to check consistency/qc. Not a job I want.
>>
my mum does this shit all the time, she's trying to restore an old orchard on some land my parent just bought, but the trees are old and in bad shape, so she's grafting cuttings from them onto new, younger trees. The land has a farm that's at least 200 years old and hasn't been used for a long time, so there's a good chance these trees have old heritage apple varieties that haven't been around for a while.

I wonder, is there any way to check the genetic heritage of these trees? She's a horticulturalist, not a biologist, and neither am I. It would be nice if there was an easy way to assess these trees, there are hundreds of them scattered on the property and most of them aren't producing crab apples.
>>
>>8076485
>english newspapers
This one looks Australian desu lad
>>
my grandpa had a tree with white and red cherries
>>
>>8076485
>cut off brach from apple tree A
>shove it in apple tree B
>compatable
>both grow
>repeat for as many types of apple you want
>ta-da
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.