[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /sci/ deal with the fact that whenever they learn something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 278y8ny82y.jpg (23 KB, 704x400) Image search: [Google]
278y8ny82y.jpg
23 KB, 704x400
How does /sci/ deal with the fact that whenever they learn something cool and interesting, that they'll end up forgetting about it in a month, and won't even be able to talk about it with people?

Ive created flash cards in anki, with information ive read about, just so I wont forget it. But. Soon, Ill have thousands of flashcards I would have to go through, just to recite information.

What should I do?
>>
Compile it all into a fact book, then publish it.
>>
>>8075796
>How does /sci/ deal with the fact that whenever they learn something cool and interesting, that they'll end up forgetting about it in a month, and won't even be able to talk about it with people?

Depends. With literature I have nearly total recall because of how much I have read. I can remember everything fairly easily because of all the associations and the fact that it's an ongoing study.

With math it's a little different because you have to specialize and then focus on an area of study.

But who are you going to be talking to about math apart from your classmates before a test? I have a pop-sci friend that likes to go on about paradoxes all the time; I'm sure he thinks they're 'cool and interesting', but there's a lot better conversation to be had than talking about science with people. It's a mostly solitary pursuit best kept between you, your lecturers and classmates.

It sounds like you're talking about reading something on wikipedia and then forgetting about it. Don't be a casual hobbyist man, you'll build up a lot of references just from ongoing study.
>>
>>8075796
I don't forget about it. I remember it perfectly. I just don't feel any need to prove myself to you any longer.
>>
>>8075796
we never completely forget. Forgetting something and not being able to recall it are two different things. If you know you knew something, you know how you learned it in the first place and you have access to that material, then "relearning" it is really, really easy. Your brain didn't forget, it just couldn't recall and it just needs a little push.
>>
File: 68657556757.gif (571 KB, 384x348) Image search: [Google]
68657556757.gif
571 KB, 384x348
>>8075850
Thats a good idea man. I should compile a list of facts, then give a quick look once in a while. The only problem is, theres a lot of information to condense, and information that requires pictures too.
>>8075856
I can't pursue everything. I want to get a mechanical engineer job, but still want to know how everything in the world, I have interest in, works to some degree. I guess you are right that people outside of the classroom, don't to discuss science. But, I never had any interest in social media, vines, memes, or some netlix show. and thats what everyone around me talks about. Occasionally, they'll about politics, and as much as I do like ranting about political memes, its nothing compared to science. I used watch anime, but now its boring to me.
>>8075863
>>8075878
I came to that conclusion too.

Anyway, right now, Im trying to read about soaps work. I know theres a hydrophilic cap that attracts water, and a hydrophobic tail that attracts oil, but now I want to learn about the different soaps, and study how they work.
>>
>>8075856
I'd be inclined to disagree with that. The first conversations that I had with my friend group were about physics, and math. We still talk about it a lot. So, it isn't necessarily something that you have to always keep to yourself. You may not be able to go into autistic detail and derive/prove (depending on what you're doing) everything to your friends, but it's definitely something that you can talk about to the right people. Also, with science being a solitary pursuit, I would definitely disagree. Have you even seen the average author count on scientific papers? Science is almost entirely done it groups these days. Even math is at times, although it benefits less from the group work.
>>
>>8075796
I don't actually have to deal with that. I just write it all down, but usually once I do that I don't even have to look it up again. The act of writing it down is enough to help me remember it. However, if I ever do forget it, I can just look through one of my notebooks to find it.
>>
>>8075796
you aren't learning. you're just trying to memorize.

read your books better and do the fucking exercises
>>
File: 1461567368991.jpg (72 KB, 956x960) Image search: [Google]
1461567368991.jpg
72 KB, 956x960
>>8075896
>It's a mostly solitary pursuit best kept between you, your lecturers and classmates.

From that you should gather that I mean it is solitary in the sense that you don't ask some hot chick at a party to help you out with your paper. You definitely collaborate, but it's not social like sitting around in a bar talking about sports is. It's all 'business'.

>You may not be able to go into autistic detail and derive/prove (depending on what you're doing) everything to your friends, but it's definitely something that you can talk about to the right people.

That's like the whole comp-sci department talking about quantum computers. I do get your point though. I was mainly taking fault with the OPs desperate complaint that he'll "end up forgetting about it in a month, and won't even be able to talk about it with people".

That's a stupid approach to the sciences. And especially mathematics. But I think we fundamentally agree on this, OP just rubbed me the wrong way lol.
>>
>>8075888
>>8075796
Fuck off with your pedophile cartoons.
>>
File: 1457366317516.jpg (91 KB, 800x804) Image search: [Google]
1457366317516.jpg
91 KB, 800x804
>>8075907
>>8075900
These guys hit the nail on the head.

Do the exercises, take your time, don't do it for the social fruits of studying science.
>>
>>8075796
You may forget it in the sense that you can't immediately summon it from memory, but relearning it will be much easier. You probably learned something in a math class, didn't use it for awhile, and then it popped up in a future class and you went "oh yeah, that."
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.