[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6
File: fastcontract.jpg (23 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
fastcontract.jpg
23 KB, 500x330
Let's put apathy and pessimism aside and each do our part to try to fix this problem

https://www.lifespan.io/campaigns/
>>
>>8075737
First useful thread on /sci/ in a while

Contribute you fucking autists
>>
No. This is a bad idea.
>>
>>8075737
wow, that is depressing. how the fuck is this so underfunded? is our species really this retarded?
>>
>>8075750
I gave a sizable sum to it
>>
File: 1457548647473.gif (2 MB, 325x234) Image search: [Google]
1457548647473.gif
2 MB, 325x234
>>8075737
>https://www.lifespan.io/campaigns/
>MitoSENS
>154% funded
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>8075749
If you disagree with the science of the campaigns or their general reputability that's fine. Critical discussion is always helpful. But for now this kind of platform is the best way contribute other than lobbying and campaigning for better government funding.

If you are simply against the goal of increasing healthy lifespan then why even bother having medicine at all?

This new startup is getting VC funding lately, hope to see lots more like this. http://unitybiotechnology.com/
>>
File: agn3.jpg (77 KB, 1300x831) Image search: [Google]
agn3.jpg
77 KB, 1300x831
http://www.fiercebiotech.com/venture-capital/backed-by-a-lineup-of-marquee-vcs-unity-biotechnology-tackles-hard-science-of-aging
>>
>>8075750
It's only been up for 5 days!
>>
>>8075749
Note how this comment isn't ANY different from saying to a person who is dying of cancer and could be cured that "nah bro we won't treat your cancer, we think that you have lived enough :)"
>>
tweeted bill gates asking him to donate, with link included
>>
Though I do agree with you that mindless consumerism is destroying the possibilities for the species. I work in finance and just don't understand how some people can care about cars and mansions more than self preservation.

I guess it's just lack of awareness of what can be achieved if everyone's working together in the same direction instead of building up their own societal position. Malaria's been halved in Africa through donations in the last 15 years for example.
>>
>>8075777
Sorry, this was directed at >>8075750.
>>
>>8075773
Heh, I read a couple of his AMAs on plebbit and he basically admitted that he would fund this sort of thing but his wife doesn't let him to, because of muh think of teh nigerian children first
>>
If anyone has advice for getting into this kind of research it would be great to hear

I left university (STEM Masters but non-bio background) and have been working for a while making a good living but been thinking of devoting the rest of my life to something like this. If it's really something where the only problem is money rather than talent I guess I'd be better off earning and donating as much I can to worthwhile causes, but lately I'm questioning that.
>>
>>8075792
I understand that, but you have to understand that he has like 70 billion dollars.

Give 69 billions to 3rd world and 1 to aging. Even 100 millions would be more than enough to bring proof of concepts and worldwide interest in this research.
>>
>>8075782
Fair enough, it only costs $3-4k to save a life in Africa from disease (which will surely improve the local economies by much more).
>>
>>8075802
You're right, I wish society would be a bit more proactive about this instead of obsessing about the next fancy web framework or mobile gadget

I mean we're all going to die pretty soon, that should be motivation enough.
>>
>>8075737
Mitochondrial DNA is certainly an important point, but nuclear DNA should not be overlooked, especially since so many of us end up dying of cancers.
I propose that we not only redirect mitochondrial genes into the nucleus, but also try to engineer hyper accurate DNA replication and repair enzymes.
>>
isn't alot of age-related illness rooted in telomeres being shit? how can we lengthen the telomeres of every chromosome in the body?

select all pictures of trees
>>
>>8075871
That's one related issue but not the only cause
>>
>>8075879
what are the other causes? sorry not familiar with biological anything
>>
How about doing real work this very fucking moment:

https://folding.stanford.edu/

https://youtu.be/7sJx9z1uB9k

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/blog/
https://folding.stanford.edu/home/papers/
https://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-diseases/
>>
>>8075951
This is very marginal to the development of therapies to reverse aging in the short term: also there are plenty of people already working on protein folding.

A dollar of electricity spent on that would be better spent donating to the campaign OP linked (or donating to SENS)

But yes, if you can do both then do it, absolutely.
>>
>>8075991
I have an exercise bike I turned into an electric generator. My netbook is not a power house, but it can run the folding program and I can recharge it with my bike (36watts max, which happens to be what the netbook uses). I can get a good workout and fold at the same time and still shitpost on 4chan because I made it so the pedals can be used from my computer chair.
>>
>>8075737
>Implying this will get funded.

Remember we need to keep sending billions to Africa to babysit 1 billion people that haven't taken care of themselves in 10,000 years.
>>
>>8076027
Should we post this campaign on /pol/? I remember they were kinda interested in future science and technology

>>8075998
Comfy.
>>
>>8076042
Sure.

We should really make anti-aging research a thing people are more interested in in funding in general.

I mean, you have all the time in the world to be entertained if your lifespan is indefinite, after all.
>>
File: Untitled.png (14 KB, 924x169) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
14 KB, 924x169
>>8075951
We should do this and form a Team /sci/ and compete with other boards' teams.

>>8076042
Yeah, but on my netbook 1 work unit will take 3.04 days to complete at 100% workload. My main PC only takes a few hours.
>>
I think /g/ might be interested in running folding programs. they certainly have the hardware to do it
>>
>>8075951
Hell yeah son. I am already folding at home.
Also, I study biochemistry and plan to get more into proteins.
>>
>>8076093
What project are you contributing to?
>>
>>8075737
Question:

How do you get on doing research things like this if you can't go to college?
>>
>>8076141
Answer:

You don't.
>>
>>8076149
Bummer.
>>
>>8076141
You can do it on a computational/theoretical level.
>>
>>8076182
How so?

I ask because familial issues have made attending college in the US pretty much an impossibility for the next several years (I can't afford it, but my parents make too much money for FAFSA aid, and I'm already a sophomore, so I can't apply for freshman undergrad scholarships, and I just haven't found any that have helped me, or I didn't win for ones I did find.)

I might try to do Harvard Extension School after I get a decent job and go super-part time, or apply for financial aid through it, but last I checked they only offer Liberal Arts degrees, and I'm unsure if you can transfer to their main university.
>>
>>8076193
The most removed and easy way to do it is through programs like this: >>8075951

Which in no way at all requires anything of you more than your hardware.
>>
>>8076204
Thanks, I've installed it.

I do wish I could actually be of academic use, though. I suppose the alternative would be to have boatloads of money and just dump it into research efforts, but I'm more likely (and only barely able) to get a degree before I die than be a billionaire.
>>
>>8076193
How about working full time + studying biology/chemistry/papers on aging research in your spare time?

When you will have enough money you will go to college already knowing most of the material, and you will be able to quickly get in touch with professors to do undergrad research.
>>
File: graphmeme.png (13 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
graphmeme.png
13 KB, 1000x1500
>>8075737
It's impossible to fix, friend.
>>
>>8076216
Sound fair. I'm currently working a cruddy min. wage job (College won't be affordable for ages, though I'm only 20), but I'm doing CS50 course from EDX and hoping to get a job via launchcode. I've also kept the path of going to UTI and just getting into automotive trades as a possibility if this doesn't work for whatever reason.
>>
>>8076219
>This poster on every thread.

Why do you even come to /sci/ if you're just going to post that on everything? This isn't even an immortality thread, it's a "higher standard of living in old age" thread.
>>
>>8076228
It's a meme at this point, to post this pic in every technology thread no matter how irrelevant.
>>
File: X on SCI.png (31 KB, 694x968) Image search: [Google]
X on SCI.png
31 KB, 694x968
>>8076219
GB2 >>>/x/ kid
>>
>>8076228
>t. assmad singularityfag
>>
>>8076219
worst /sci/ meme of 2016

gorillaposting is the best one btw
>>
>>8075951
I was considering running that Prime Number Finding Program, this seems like a much better idea.

Are there any other similar programs you can run that will help advance humanity?
>>
>>8076249
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects
>>
>>8076228
Just filter him by image.
>>
>>8076115
I'm not choosing anything particular, but at the moment the program is working on rhodopsin.
>>
>>8076262
thanks m8
>>
>>8075951
Will this ever finish? I mean eventually they will run out of proteins to fold, right?
>>
making a /sci/ team for f@h
number : 230856
>>
>>8076368
You think so? Think of all the different proteins outside in the world, and then think of all the different proteins that haven't been designed yet, then think about all the proteins that haven't even been thought of yet.
>>
>>8076451
Team member Newfag reporting in.

Also thoughts on >>8076221
?
>>
AMA on reddit is live at r/futurology
>>
Honestly death is good for the species as a whole, illness and disease aren't but the finiteness of life is.
>>
>>8075946
http://www.senescence.info/gerontology.html

This is where I learnt what I know so far.

I have Principles of Biochemistry by Lehninger on my shelf to get through next
>>
>>8075737
'I'm confused, does /sci/ actually believe this pop sci crap?
>>
>>8076936
/r/futurology has really declined as of late due to an influx of people. It's more than 50% 'ifuckinglovescience' tier clickbait now.
>>
>>8076971
Whether or not the OP is popsci, this thread has included some definitely not popsci material. Join if you'd like.

>>8075951
>>
>>8075951
Rather mine bitcoins cheers. Get fucked boomers
>>
>>8076978
yep, I'd say that 90% of the stuff that gets posted/comments that you find are pure garbage

>>8076971

I'm confused too, what is pop sci about this?
>>
>>8076406
just joined, is there any way to see how many people are in our team?
>>
stats here
http://fah-web2.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=230856
>>
Does protein folding simulation actually amount to anything (other than published papers)?

Seems like the dynamics of hundreds of atoms would be too chaotic to make any accurate final statement
>>
>>8075782
My jamesons are no longer unrusted.
>>
>>8075782
Bill (and his wife) are fucking stupid. Literally what good can come from more niggers?
>>
>>8078079
of all the nsfw pics you could have chosen, thats pretty fucking weak. try harder faggot
>>
Death encourages progress
>>
>>8076951
Who gives a shit about "the species as a whole"? You are almost as bad as the voluntary human extinction faggots, because muh gaja.

Only thing we should care about is consciousnesses which exist right now, most of all humans do to ability to reciprogate. But caring for animals should also be done, since ethical behaviour pays out and we might take their position all to soon. And then I don't want to live in a world with factory human husbandry.
>>
>>8078565
>scarcity encourages progress
>deah hinders progress
ftfy

Also who gives a shit about progress when you have everything you want
>>
Do you guys have it set to "I support research fighting all diseases" or just cancer?

I mean obviously all diseases are bad but I just think cancer is the worst.

What do you guys think about this?
>>
>>8078602
Some of these diseases don't really take you until you're older.

Cancer tends not to discriminate, so I suppose if you're doing this for the "Tackle problems before I have them" angle, setting it to cancer would be the top priority.
>>
I'll ask in this thread too, what do I need to study to reasearch life extension? My university has two similar degrees, I'll try to write an accurate name but english isn't my first language, one is called engineering in biotechnology (which focuses more in the industry of farming and livestock) and the other one is called genomic biotechnology but it doesn't have engineering in its name, are any of this careers useful for that research?
>>
>ctrl-f "overpopulation"
>0 results
Is your survival instinct so strong you fags ignore the biggest problem that would come with immortality ? Or do you just imply that universal castration will be a thing as soon as this technology exists ?
>>
>>8075812
Hmmm... There's a reasob why they keep those genes out there. Not even remotely energetically efficient to export them and then import them across two membranes. Most everything which can be nuclearized has been.
>>
>>8079853
Uhh you sure about that? I'm pretty damn sure the distribution of mitochondrial/chloroplastic genes in the nucleus vs the respective organelles vary widely from species to species, so it's more a random thing.
>>
>>8079748
I think Bill Gates's condom project will happen before immortality
>>
>>8079748
>Is your survival instinct so strong you fags ignore the biggest problem that would come with immortality

Just stop breeding so much
>>
>>8080531
How do you enforce that ? Reproduction is a natural thing and people are drawn to it, pretty sure a lot of retards would insist on having kids even in case of overpopulation because
>muh dreams
>muh sitcom with muh happy family model
You can't just throw these people in jail.
I mean I totally would but I don't think a government that acts like that would last very long.
>>
>>8081358
I will live in a gated community for people with self restraint while the others can live in squalid hive cities
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.