[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the minimum math knowledge I need before taking a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1462434762468.jpg (172 KB, 650x456) Image search: [Google]
1462434762468.jpg
172 KB, 650x456
What's the minimum math knowledge I need before taking a Digital Signal Processing course. Do you think three months and two weeks is enough to learn the basis if I work 2 to 3 hours a day? It's some kind of life defining choice I'm making right now.
>>
I mean: are complex numbers & Integral enough to start or I need more basis...
>>
>>8074021
Do you know what Fourier series, Fourier transforms, Laplace transforms, discrete Fourier transforms, and FFTs are?
>>
>>8074021
Idk
>>
>>8074070
Probably this.

OP if you've taken a class in PDEs, I think you should be ok.

Three months and 2 weeks? It depends on how much math you already know...obviously.

Do you know calculus? Basic ODEs? Then sure it would be absolutely reasonable, no question.
Do you just know basic calculus? Then yeah it's reasonable?

Do you not even know how to do calculus? Then no, I would say you need more time.

The good news is you can just quickly learn these things without the proofs unless you want to learn them, so it's up to you.

So it really depend if you're already very comfortable with calculus or not. If you are, then sure you should be fine.
>>
>>8074092
Go learn PDEs. Then I think you'll be fine to take the course.
>>
>>8074070
No, I had exam about Fourier transform long time ago and scored something like 5/20. I never gave a fuck about math but now I have a purpose so I need to re-learn all that stuff seriously.

>>8074092
Same for PDE, I learnt how to solve the simple ones long time ago, like 10 years ago and I know basic calculus. I think I just need a serious study plan and stick to it. I know I can do it, but I don't know where to start.I will take a look at Calculus I & II just to see if my knowledges are still up to date and go from there I guess.
>>
File: exam.png (485 KB, 696x1740) Image search: [Google]
exam.png
485 KB, 696x1740
Calculus, tons of trig, and understanding of complex numbers. It is a fun course if you know what is going on.

>Do you think three months and two weeks is enough to learn the basis if I work 2 to 3 hours a day?
Yeah.

This is an example of what we had to do when I took it.
>>
>>8074070
That's what you learn in DSP classes

and Laplace isn't used in DSP though I guess you could argue the z-transform is a particular case of it
>>
>>8075118
Depends on the school. Most assume you know it already going in.
>>
>>8075284
really? in my DSP class at UCLA and now I TA one at another pretty good school that's taught as part of the intro DSP class
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.