[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking differential equations course, this is text: Ordinary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: saveme.jpg (108 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
saveme.jpg
108 KB, 640x640
Taking differential equations course, this is text:

Ordinary Differential Equations, Zill, 9th edition

is this good?

besides book does anyone have any online resources to help with course (eg khan)??
>>
i think the real name of the book is
First Course In Differential Equations Ed: 9

not sure why they listed it with a different title
>>
>>8073867
>9th edition
>is this good?
No.
>>
You'll find this useful.
http://users.math.msu.edu/users/gnagy/teaching/ode.pdf
>>
>Zill
Haha, no.

It's a shit book.
>>
Vladimir Arnold's Ordinary Differential Equations is a good book if you want something gentle but rigorous.
>>
>>8074016
yes gentle is good, i am not strong in math and long time since taking calculus and algebra

also i havent taken linear algebra yet
>>
>>8073867
what shitty university would use that book for a DE course?
>>
>>8074024
its differential equations for life sciences
>>
>>8073867
My community college used the 10th edition of Zill.

It's just a cook book for solving odes. The 'theory' behind it is really simplistic. The section on variation of parameters is pretty good. I forgot the algorithm on an exam, but remembered that variation of parameters is basically just Cramer's rule with the general solution of differential equation and I was able to derive the algorithm on the spot.

The tenth edition is pretty good for application problems. So, if you are an engineer, or a physicist you are golden. Good for an intro to diff eqs.
>>
>>8073867
Highly recommended.
>>
>>8074018
>also i havent taken linear algebra yet
You'll need this for ODEs for sure.
>>
>>8073867
Use Simmons' ODEs book.
>>
Best lectures I found when I took diff eqns: Math 391 - Methods of Differential Equations - Spring 2015: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYoxM3oLTvxJG4eG_cB6RAol_93YkxcJB
>>
>>8074117
>Math 391 - Methods of Differential Equations
It's a 3rd year module? What does it contain briefly?
>>
>>8074173
1st and second/higher order ODEs. I took a class with the same text as OP and the lectures synced pretty well to the class.
>>
>>8074196
Looking through it is seems like a second year module at best...
>>
>>8074204
What year it is or isn't doesn't matter. If op wants lectures on the subject of ODEs, they're good ones that are taught well.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.