[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Theia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Pluto-asteroid.thumbnail.jpg (38 KB, 1024x996) Image search: [Google]
Pluto-asteroid.thumbnail.jpg
38 KB, 1024x996
One idea for how the Moon formed is the giant impact hypothesis. Theia, a Mars-sized planet, struck Earth 4.5 billion year ago and the debris field that remained around Earth ultimately coalesced into the Moon. Does anyone know how fast Theia would have struck the Earth in km/s?
>>
-1/12
>>
>>8071439
Dammit you!

I was just googling this nonsense and I still don't get it.
>>
File: moon_history.png (46 KB, 611x300) Image search: [Google]
moon_history.png
46 KB, 611x300
Encyclopedia Cassiopeia
>>
>>8071450

The sum of all real numbers results in -1/12, something I never get(inb4: brainlet) but at least I can recognize.

Its like /k/ ave nex alea, or /pol/ gas the jews... intraculture board memeing.
>>
File: partial_sums.png (18 KB, 518x508) Image search: [Google]
partial_sums.png
18 KB, 518x508
>>
There was number of things that created the moon
>>
>>8071608
>>8071501

Ohhh.... I see now.
>>
It is a two variable system. To solve it you need the mass or the density of the Mars-sized planet. Then you put it into the energy conservation equation and you have a nice napkin estimate.
>>
>>8071497

WTF, what?

I'm pretty sure no scientists believe that at this point in time.
>>
Putting in numbers, I got first 3200 m/s. Since it is so low, I also considered the moons current orbital speed then and I got 8000 m/s. Some considerations I made: mass of the earth is conserved -> initial mass of the projectile = final mass + mass of the moon, the moon has constant distance from earth, the mass of the projectile = mass of mars.
>>
>>8071430
>know how
It has been suggested that Theia was originally located in the Sun - proto-Earth L4/L5 point and was eventually perturbed out of that position and slammed into proto-Earth. Assuming proto-Earth was about the same mass as current Earth the speed must at least have been equal to the escape velocity from Earth, which is 11 km/s. And that is enough to wreck the day for anyone.

Sorry for piling up on assumptions here (they are free of charge!) but it has been proposed that the formation of the Moon was actually a proto-Moon and another object in the Earth - proto-Moon L4/L5 point which later slammed into the Moon. This supposedly explains why the near side is very different from the far side.
>>
>>8071619
Read: https://plus.maths.org/content/infinity-or-just-112
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.