[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Some of you think psychology is pesudo-science but what do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: brain-1.jpg (14 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
brain-1.jpg
14 KB, 400x300
Some of you think psychology is pesudo-science but what do you think about behavioral neuroscience / neuropsych?
>>
I thought psychology was just uninformed people's talking about their observations of active neuroscience?
>>
>>8070775
People who think it's a pseudo science don't know about the different branches.

They just associate it with the "millions of women" who get into it to help children and families.

>forensic
>neuro
>social
>cognitive
>organizational
>abnormal
>behavioral
>experimental

The concept of IQ people splerg about here was invented by a cognitive psychologist.
>>
>>8071869
Might be a part of cognitive or neuro, but Im currently helping in undergrad research related to Senses and Human Perception.
>>
psychology comes across as a pseudo science because scores of normies use it as base line entry level science degrees and say

>we wuz scientists n shiet

combine that with the abysmal experimental repeat rate and the almost blatant waste of money on some of the papers and you end up with a science that isn't really all that respected.

inb4

>it hasnt been a science that long
>people are different
>we need to have hard data to prove people dont like being burned alive

if the field wants more respect it needs to act like a respectable field of science
>>
>>8071883
Are you referring to the ego depletion studies?
Because everyone always refers to the ego depletion studies.

or are you just talking out of your ass?

It's not that I disagree. you just come off as pretentious
>>
>>8071883
4 scores and 15 minutes ago, anon shitposted on the never coveted 4chan.
>>
Psychology isn't psuedoscience.

Unfortunately however it is an incredible soft science and so much in its infancy that it can not produce concrete results. The brain will forever be a harder problem to solve than atoms and forces.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
You wrote this post because you watched destiny's video at 27:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEW7Dgs1MUY
>>
>>8071993
No, I don't even know this guy. But I watched a part now and I don't like that he says neuroscience is more "pesudoscience" but doesn't explain why he thinks that way [spoiler]if the answer is because it's fairly new then I'd probably agree with him; most neuro profs say at the start of their lectures that they don't know shit about the brain, at least not enough to give definitive answers at this point.[/spoiler]
>>
>>8074270
Fuck I always forget /sci/ doesn't have spoilers.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.