[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Different-Colored Suns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 1024x1024
Hello /sci/. Greetings from /tg/!

I am currently working on a science fiction setting, and for several reasons I would like to know if it's possible for stars to be any weird colors. For example, I looked up that potassium chloride burns purple. Would it be possible for a star to achieve fusion with a large amount of potassium chloride it's make up?

Alternatively, if that would be completely fucking retarded and I should kill myself, before I grab a rope is there a scientifically possible way to explain stars being vastly different colors than usual?
>>
>>8066539

The color of the light depends mainly on the mass and at what part of his lifespan the star has reached.
>>
>>8066546
Is a purple or green star possible?
>>
what would happen if an orange sun collided with a blue sun
>>
>>8066550
Technically there are, but we don't see them as green or purple due to how our eyes work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8GXpk8PZ-o
>>
>>8066539
We, humans, always see stars as white, but stars can be many different colours. It has to do with the fusion of elements in the stars, but my suggestion would be to make the players some other race/give them some cyborg shit to make them be able to see the colours.
>>
>>8066557
>>8066576
Huh. This is pretty helpful. A little disappointing, but I'll take what I can get. Thank you!
>>
>>8066555

call of duty: new box art edition
>>
>>8066555
depends, are they 1000 C and -1000 C suns?
>>
>>8066555
A type 1a supernova, if I remember correctly.

Which is probably pretty colorful.
>>
File: tumblr_ng47r43cSX1qaityko1_500.gif (850 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ng47r43cSX1qaityko1_500.gif
850 KB, 500x500
>>
>>8066539
neutron stars?
hey op, what if the star was a large gas planet radioactively glowing just before it became a star? this way your chars could at least get close.

to schtick width your original example, you could have a dim (bright to us) star forming in a stellar dust cloud of pot chlor. the dust burns as it falls into the star's chronosphere. the rest of the dust cloud between the observer and the star filters the light that gets through to blue.
this pot chlor cloud could have been formed when the banana ocean got blown up.
also kill yourself
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.