[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fermi paradox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: russells-teapot.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1258) Image search: [Google]
russells-teapot.jpg
240 KB, 1920x1258
Here's my version.
When (and if) we hit post singularity and become immortal gods that can bend reality to our whim, how many of you would fuck with the universe for fun?
I know I would.
So here's my question, if there was an alien out there that reached that point, why don't we find more stupid shit floating around space?
Why isn't there a star sized alien version of the bird screaming obscenities in the center of the galaxy?
>>
>>8066244
More like when civilization is advanced enough everyone realize god exist and the bible is true, so everyone start living simple lives waiting for eternal life in paradise.
>>
Well you see anon, there is a trend in communication technologies where the operational frequency is increasing. Higher operating frequency = more bandwidth. First we used radiowaves, then we used microwaves, and now we use visible light (in the form of fiberoptics).

The logical end point of this trend is communication using modulated gamma rays. Gamma ray bursts may in fact be ayy lmaos giving us the bird.
>>
>>8066244
Once computers advance to a point that they can perfectly simulate anything anyone might want, there will be no reason to explore space.

Why spend time and resources going somewhere else and taking even a tiny amount of risk, when it's possible to do the exact same thing with no risk and identical results?
>>
>>8066244
>(and if)
There's your answer.
>>
>>8066306
Because it's fun?
Aesthetic value?
>>
>>8066309
Let's pretend it's possible
>>
>>8066329
Then you have to pretend other reasons why "the singularity" occuring all over the universe produces no observable evidence.
>>
>>8066306
You can't simulate that which you don't know exists.
>>
>>8066336
>observable evidence.
Not him, and not a singularityfag in general, but...
The Aliens could be doing almost anything, and we wouldn't have any observable evidence.
>>
>>8066244
> if there was an alien out there that reached that point, why don't we find more stupid shit floating around space?

Becuse ayy's are not retards.

>I know I would.
Sure.
>>
>>8066377
>Becuse ayy's are not retards.
First of all, how do you know?
Please, tell use an aliens intentions.
Second, being a god like intellegence doesn't mean you can't be childish.
And what would you do in your freetime as an all knowing god?
>>
>>8066449
A singularity level intelligence would probably by definition not "be a retard". Also, you're no closer to having such an intellect yourself than some dude from the bronze age - still just human baseline, just with a bit more knowledge added. What you wish for or would choose now is totally irrelevant given that all of that is determined by you being human, hormones and instincts guiding your every thought and action.
>>
>>8066370
Yes you can.
If the precursor moments of the universe can be simulated, then its aging process could be done easily.
>>
>>8066244

Daily reminder that humans are just fucking insane

https://youtu.be/ffUnNaQTfZE?t=1064

There might be lots of life in the universe. There might even be lots of intelligent life in the universe. But we might actually be the only species that has this irrational desire to want to migrate to places for the sake of seeing them although they could potentially kill us and are not essential to our survival at all.

No logical species would act like ours
>>
Our intelligence is actually increasing at an unnatural rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect?wprov=sfla1
>>
>>8066244
Any post animal transcendence means leaving your instincts behind. No basic needs -> no higher goals -> no reason to exist.

>I know I would.
You wouldn't be yourself anymore.
>>
>>>/x/
Singularity isn't real and is less plausible than Christianity/Islam
>>
>>8067531
Thanks for the bump
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.