[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the moon is drifting away from Earth at a rate of about an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Total-Solar-Eclipse.jpg (24 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
Total-Solar-Eclipse.jpg
24 KB, 620x349
If the moon is drifting away from Earth at a rate of about an inch a year, at what point will a total solar eclipse just not be possible anymore?
>>
now
>>
>>8063967
That is incorrect.
>>
>>8064005
I don't think the moon is eclipsing currently
>>
>>8063967
the Moons angular size is 31 arcmin while the Suns in 30. So yes, the moon does eclipse the sun.
>>
>>8063931
>total solar eclipse

This is prove that God exists. It would be too much of a coincidence to have the perfect distance between the moon and the sun for we to have eclipses otherwise.
>>
No, but it's true that Earths orbit is moving closer to the sun with each cycle.

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/spacenews/20121605?php
>>
>>8064270
OP's question wasn't a yes or no question you dumbass
>>
>>8064276
I wasn't answering OP dumbass
>>
Hearsay
>>
Why don't you do the math, instead of asking us?
>>
>>8063931
>at what point will a total solar eclipse just not be possible anymore
-1/12 years from now
>>
>>8064574
ay
>>
>>8064574
Oh shit waddup
>>
x = distance from surface of earth to moon.
r = radius of moon
s = distance from surface to centre of sun
t = radius of sun
r/x = t/s when there is an exact total eclipse ( the moons frontal area = sun frontal area)
now it's just a method of converting your silly imperial units over to S.I., then you'll be good as gold. Presuming you can do basic maths.
HAVE FUN.
>>
About 600 million years
>>
How long until we lose it entirely?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.