[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Third gender
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1462465576834.png (607 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1462465576834.png
607 KB, 900x900
Not talking special snowflake SJW shit here.
How would a hypothetical biological third sex work?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of adding +1 to male-female equation?
One idea I have is that it would act as a filter, that the male has to interact with before the seed is fertile for the female
>>
reproduction would then be via Borda count.
>>
>>8063557

Why couldn't it be independent and reproduce with itself
>>
>>8063557
Fuck off tumblr, your incoherent drivel annoys us.
>>
>>8063557
What the fuck do you think hermaphrodites are?
>>
>>8063720
You aren't good at reading are you,
>>
>>8063732
Nonexistant?
Genetic defects?
>>
>>8063733
Hello faggot
>>
File: 1447265492933.jpg (36 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
1447265492933.jpg
36 KB, 600x512
>>8063557
>How would a hypothetical biological third sex work?
It wouldn't

the male injects genetic information into the female, and the combined genetic message is a new organism

what is this third sex supposed to do? Where does its genetic information go?
>>
Wait, don't mushrooms have thousands of sexes, or Is that a meme?
>>
>>8063733
>Guys I'm TOTALLY NOT BEING RETARDED but listen: HURRRRRRRRR HURRRRRRRRR HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
File: yy.jpg (32 KB, 500x464) Image search: [Google]
yy.jpg
32 KB, 500x464
>>8063557
Women have two X chromosomes.
Men have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome
Gender 3 would have two Y chromosomes.
>>
>>8063557
> One idea I have is that it would act as a filter, that the male has to interact with before the seed is fertile for the female
Should read John Varley's Titan series. Pay attention to the centaurs.

Another possibility is a sterile worker as the third gender. So the females just pump out babies, males fight (gotta get natural selection in there somewhere) and wander around looking for new and interesting things to fuck, and the workers do everything else.
>>
>>8063744
Like I said, it could be a filter. It could also act as an additional male/female.
>>
>>8063757
But, isn't the Y chromosome supposed to be almost useless?
>>
>>8063771
Hell no.
The only people who claim that are popsci cucks who claim the y cromozome is disappearing.
>>
>>8063774
I mean, yeah, having two Y chromosomes and no X chromosome makes you a miscarriage.
Y chromosome is pretty much just SRY and a bunch of shit already in X
>>
>>8063557
Well, eusocial species like ants and bees have non-reproductive members.

Workers and soldiers are typically considered female, because they're genetically female (despite being reproductively inactive), and the difference between queens and workers is determined by their diet as larvae, but they could just as easily be considered a third and fourth sex. While they don't contribute their genetic material, workers do play an essential role in reproduction by feeding and protecting the queen and larvae.

Other species have purely environmental rather than genetic determination of sex, and even change functional sex in adulthood.

A true third sex, with an essential reproductive role, isn't likely to evolve or survive. It's easy to imagine ways it could work (male and quasi-male each mate with the female before impregnation occurs, male mates with middle-sex then middle-sex impregnates female), but hard to imagine any advantage it could confer.

When parasitism or symbiosis is involved, the number of necessary participants in reproduction can be 3 or more, but I know of no exception to the rule that only two of them are of a single species. In parasitic wasps, for instance, the females have an oviposter to inject fertile eggs into a victim-mother for its young. Bee and eusocial wasp stingers are evolved from oviposters of their parasitic ancestors. Bees carry pollen from male to female flowers.
>>
Nature will find a way
>>
>>8063774
The Y chromosome isn't disappearing, or likely to disappear, but it is shrinking and likely to continue shrinking.

The Y chromosome's a bad place to put anything, other than a "be male" signal. Not only do only your male offspring have it, but it only passes down a strict male line of succession. If you have a gene that's useful for your male descendants, you want to be able to pass it to your grandsons through your daughters.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.