[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the most difficult scientific field to do noteworthy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Which is the most difficult scientific field to do noteworthy experimental research in, and why is it Biology?
>>
>>8062729

Some biology/health science research has the distinct disadvantage of taking a long time (incubation times, etc). We've all heard horror stories of some poor PhD having a decade-long project due to failures & shitty grow times.

However, my 2c are for anything relating to human behaviour. The signal to noise ratio is absolutely astronomical, and frankly, I'm surprised we get the number of articles published that we do. See PNAS, complete joke of a journal publishing garbage like

>(barely) not statistically significant (p=0.052)
>a barely detectable statistically significant difference (p=0.073)
>a borderline significant trend (p=0.09)
>a certain trend toward significance (p=0.08)
>a clear tendency to significance (p=0.052)
>a clear trend (p<0.09)
>a clear, strong trend (p=0.09)
>a considerable trend toward significance (p=0.069)
>a decreasing trend (p=0.09)
>a definite trend (p=0.08)
>a distinct trend toward significance (p=0.07)
>a favorable trend (p=0.09)
>a favourable statistical trend (p=0.09)
>a little significant (p<0.1)
>a margin at the edge of significance (p=0.0608)
>a marginal trend (p=0.09)
>a marginal trend toward significance (p=0.052)
>a marked trend (p=0.07)
>a mild trend (p<0.09)
>a moderate trend toward significance (p=0.068)
>a near-significant trend (p=0.07)
>a negative trend (p=0.09)
>a nonsignificant trend (p<0.1)
>a nonsignificant trend toward significance (p=0.1)
>a notable trend (p<0.1)
>a numerical increasing trend (p=0.09)
>a numerical trend (p=0.09)
>a positive trend (p=0.09)
>a possible trend (p=0.09)
>a possible trend toward significance (p=0.052)
>a pronounced trend (p=0.09)
>a reliable trend (p=0.058)
>a robust trend toward significance (p=0.0503)
>a significant trend (p=0.09)

However, I'm sure this same garbage language is used in biology. I'm just less familiar with biology than behavioural/cognitive experiments.

Frankly, I'm not sure what can be done to improve the signal to noise ratio given the current system
>>
>>8062729
>>8062768

see
https://mchankins.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/still-not-significant-2/

for more of the trashcan language

tl;dr:
> troglodyte excuses for researchers try to convince themselves that they hadn't wasted 6 months of their life on a meme project
>>
>>8062729
I dunno...anyone looking at the impacts of neutrino fluxes on certain long-half life decays are pretty fucked.
>>
>>8062729
>implying genetics and genetic engineering isn't biology
>>
Cutting edge biology these days is basically useless. Have you ever read a biology journal? It;s like discovering the 2,000,000th species of beetle, who's only habitat is 4 trees in the middle of Papua New Guinea.
>>
>>8062867
>The concept of the ecological footprint is well known amongst ecological economists. It represents the human impact on the Earth in a clear manner. As its originators note, the ecological footprint calculations have reinforced the view that if everyone enjoyed a North American standard of living then globally this would require three earths — although finding two other planets would be difficult (Wackernagel and Rees, 1996). Simply stated, we are living beyond our biophysical means. The ecological footprint is one attempt at developing a biophysically-based ecological economics, which approximates reality better than many economic expansionist models. This paper examines the ecological footprint as one contribution to the overall goal of making human development sustainable for current and future generations living in harmony with the rest of the biosphere.
>>
>>8062867
biology [math]\neq[/math] zoology
biological research [math]/neq[/math] taxonomy

im surprised any cretin could possibly think that this is the case, but hey, you learn something new every day
>>
>>8062867
Immunology is cool and useful
>>
>>8063171
this

Zoology/ecology is what people hate in here, but most of the time, they're too dumb to realise that, like the guy you quoted. Surprised someone can be this misinformed nowadays on a science board desu.
>>
>>8063226
The thing is, these people probably aren't even trolling anymore. The original memesters were probably trolls, but as soon as the meme was picked up by the first (of many, many to come) useless piece of shit NEET to infest this board, it has propagated like AIDS in a gay nightclub.
>>
If someone refers to "your biology" one more time...
>>
>>8062867
Holy shit this is what happened to my professor lol. He's out there doing shrew research said fuck it and went and discovered a species of stick insect that he's soo happy about. Fucking hell.
>>
>>8063226
The guys I hang out with at uni are all zoology and want to do research on big cats and endangered wildlife that they see on tv. They're pretty pissed that they're in for a life of looking at flies or nematodes under a microscope instead or even better, a sales job.

Plant sci master race here
>>
>>8064720
Lol, have funwith your shitty plants while I design enzymes for big companies.
Biochem is truly the queen of the biosciences.
>>
>>8062768
>my 2c are for anything relating to human behavior
OP said scientific field.
>>
>>8064763
Biiitch enjoy it while it lasts, bio-informatics here about to automate your ass out of a job.
>>
Who here molecular biology jack of all trades?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.