[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
say you have two atoms they're traveling towards eachother
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: gorilla-thinking.jpg (527 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
gorilla-thinking.jpg
527 KB, 1920x1200
say you have two atoms
they're traveling towards eachother at the same speed
hat would happen when they collide?
>>
depends on what the atoms are
>>
>>8060392
lead
>>
>>8060392
also depends on how fast
>>
>>8060411
30 kmph
>>
>>8060418
Not much would happen. Imagine taking two pieces of lead, each consisting of lead atoms, and banging them together at 60 kmph (relative to one of them if each are going 30 in your reply). As the atoms get very close, the electrons would repel and all the atoms in the vicinity would shake. This is why we get sound. (molecules in air shaking).
>>
>>8060430
if it were in a vacuum, what would happen?
will the momentum be stopped or reduced?
if so where would the energy go?
>>
>>8060436
>will the momentum be stopped or reduced?
No. Momentum is always conserved. If you look at a problem in 2 states, initial and final, initial momentum must == final momentum.

Likewise, energy is conserved.

I took intro to E&M 6 semesters ago and have since changed my major so I'm not comfortable with giving a prediction exactly.
However, if I were you I'd craft an equation in terms of momentum (using coulomb's law and newton's second law and using the interval once you've solved for acceleration (so you can use it for v in p=mv), but in terms of the distance r (or x))

Like I said, I haven't had physics in a long time so if i made a goof that's bout it anon
>>
>>8060388
Bounce, unless unstable
>>
>>8060388
create a quantum hole
>>
They react.
Or maybe not, who knows.
That's what chemistry is about.
>>
>>8060388
Hard mode: one atom is made of fire and the other made of ice
>>
>>8060411
Also depends what angle:')
>>
Black hole

But what if one is frozen and the other is on fire?
>>
>>8060388
fuck off chimpfag
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.