[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into organic materials? I'm finishing up my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
How do I get into organic materials?

I'm finishing up my 3rd year as a chemistry major currently. Should I look into taking a materials science class next year? Is materials science the area I would be looking into for graduate study?
>>
File: hitlerine.gif (2 MB, 300x259) Image search: [Google]
hitlerine.gif
2 MB, 300x259
start with biomaterials, from biotech. Pretty much everything related to organic materials come from biotech related investigations.

Also food engineering has a lot to do with organic materials and is an interesting, funny and always hired area to work in, specially if you live in a processed food producer country such as murica
>>
>>8060381
thanks for the response

my university only offers biomaterials as a high level ME course, I have none of the prereqs for it as a chem major

Right now my schedule is looking like
Advanced Organic Chemistry Lab
Materials Science
Quantum Mechanics
Pchem 2

what else should I take? i only have taken up to calc 3 do i need more maths if I'm trying to get into this?
>>
>>8060412
Reported.
>>
>>8060405
Read a book nigga, make this your own personal project
>>
>>8060504
Just looking for some personal input from people that have done this before
>>
Im just like u here anon, just finishing my 3rd year of a chemistry degree and im thinking about what to take for my 4th, my first option is advanced org chem lab together with biopolimers and structural determination (im rooting for the organic chemistry here) what do u guys think about it? is it good to be able to work here in Europe?
Also i already had all my Pchem and Qauntum mechanics and can only choose something like macromolecules computering for the Pchem route, materials science is obligatory here tho so i cant choose it , but i think it is good if u want to aim for something like the study of materials and its properties... is it really good to get a job?
>>
>>8060381
Nigger what are you talking about food engineering being related to organic materials? All we do in food engineering is designs heat exchangers, mass, energy balance and some fluid mechanics applications
>>
>>8060405
organic materials would be polymers, which is of course a very large (and good) field of materials science

all universities have different courses, but if possible, take:
+ materials science (general materials course)
+ surface chemistry
+ polymer chemistry
+ organometallic chemistry
+ and maybe intermediate and/or advanced organic chemistry
+ nanomaterials/nanoscience/nanoanything course

Then get in with a professor who is in the field of materials chemistry and do some volunteer lab work and your thesis with them.
>>
>>8062423
but the most important thing to do is to sit down and talk with some of your professors in the related field, about what you want to do and what area of research/study you want to focus on

i put this off for way to long, and it was just so helpful, i cant even describe how much help it was, there was so much i didnt think about or consider that they explained. they have all the answers you need.

do this as soon as possible, and it also opens new doors for future work with them, because it shows them you care.
>>
>>8062423
>>8062430
>mfw i've done 2 years of biochem research and now I'm trying to switch into materials. how fucked am i? i feel like i'm running out of time to get much of anything done with materials research since i will be graduating next may

would grad schools still consider me even if my research has been in a different field? i dont know what to do
>>
>>8062385
You're doing the wrong stuff then.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.