[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>humans have tens of billions of neurons >neurons firing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: activebrain.jpg (34 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
activebrain.jpg
34 KB, 600x450
>humans have tens of billions of neurons
>neurons firing is what produces thought
>neurons can only be active or inactive with no in-between
>binary code is what computers run on
>binary code consists of an active state and an inactive state
>tens of billions of logic gates arranged like a neural network should thus produce artificial intelligence

Could something like this work?
>>
File: 1449015305403.jpg (126 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449015305403.jpg
126 KB, 500x500
>>8054407

Sorry anon this is completely wrong, I don't know where you got this but I suggest reading up on how neurons work. Purves is a fantastic introductory textbook and it's readily available online
>>
>>8054407
Neurons arent transistors. Each one is a machine more complex than the space shuttle
>>
File: 1454805140801.png (137 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454805140801.png
137 KB, 640x480
>>8054407
I think you're confusing neurons with action potentials
>>
>>8054407
The brain also has variable input from billions of nerves all over the body which a computer cpu doesn't
>>
>>8054463
This
>>
>>8054407
>4 billion years of evolution
>thinks nature will end up using binary because we do

hahahahaha.... looks like that was 4 billion years wasted producing your dumb ass...
>>
>>8054419
came here to post this
>>
>>8054407
I'm genuinely curious where you found all those assumptions.
>>
>>8054407
>humans have tens of billions of neurons
About 100 billion, actually.
There is a whole range of in between, called sub-threshold membrane potential fluctuations. Together with spikes these fluctuations form large fields of electromagnetic fluctuations called the local field potential. Individual neurons can then synchronize with this field, and show a variety of different spike modes. Not to mention that a spike can be excitation, inhibitory, both at the same time, or influence the effect of other spikes All of these factors are what shape the collective dynamics of neural networks. Not just the spiking.
>tens of billions of logic gates arranged like a neural network should thus produce artificial intelligence
The simplification you make are what underlay the first very simple neural network models, that consisted of linear threshold units. You can use them to create networks that can perform simple learning tasks or show other behavior, but that's pretty much it. These types of models are somewhat out of fashion in neural network modeling at the moment, given that they're so simplistic that they don't do justice to the aforementioned physical complexities of actual neural networks.
>>
>>8054622
Sorry for that clusterfuck of a post, I probably should have proofread it before I hit post. You get what I'm trying to say though, hopefully.
>>
>>8054622
So do you think AI is still too far away from getting human-level intelligence?
>>
>>8054634
It's hard to put a number on it, but we won't be seeing that soon.

There are several problems to overcome, the first being that we need a lot of computing power. The blue brain project is developing the architecture at the moment, in collaboration with IBM. The second, more profound, problem is that knowing the structure of the network is not enough. We need a functional understanding of the entire brain at an algorithmic level to be able to recreate it. For example, we know the structure and molecular makeup of every single neuron in the stomatogastric ganglion of the lobster, but we still have no fucking clue of how it actually works. This problem is more difficult to overcome, and somewhat ignored by current large scale modeling efforts like blue brain.
>>
>>8054419
I think he meant neurons firing. It either happens or it doesn't but a neuron can collect signals and add them locally or temporally
>>
>>8054625
its 4chan
>>
>>8054763
you have a point there
>>
Yes. But they wouldn't be logic gates at that point. See IBM's true north neural network chip.
>>
But there are like 28 different neurotransmitters dude
>>
>>8054407

You're thinking of action potentials. An actual neural network is not so simply laid out in black and white terms.

Though, it sounds like you'd be interested in cognitive computing and machine learning.
>>
>>8054646
Hey, Anon, if you're interested in discussing neuroscience, we have a discord chat made up of /sci/ users

https://discord.gg/0lqbvcXEubKq3Qtn
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.