[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /sci/, HS Senior here, and I shamefully admit that I am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: th (1).jpg (16 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
th (1).jpg
16 KB, 300x200
Hello /sci/, HS Senior here, and I shamefully admit that I am completing my HS career with Pre-Calculus. I have been at least one or two math classes behind my peers for as long as I can remember, but I'm always the best in my math classes. I grasp concepts easily and always have the mathematical intuition that is required to excel in my courses, but alas, I am...behind. My question to you is: Will I survive a Physics/Electrical Engineering double major? They are my passion, and I enjoy studying the concepts that I have the mathematical tools to ascertain and learn. I have no difficulty with the math I have facing me now, but will my "setback" hinder me in my further endeavors? Thank you.
>>
>>8050945
As long as you place into calculus, you should be fine
>>
I suppose you will be fine, as long as you are confident in your ability to learn the abstract concepts involved. Have you taken AP Physics or AP Chemistry at all. I would see how you how you like something that requires a little more rigor before you decide majoring into 2 difficult subjects.
>>
I apologize for my atrocious english, I am German
>>
>>8051155
You're really asking in the wrong place. Most people here are American and the level of HS education in the US is atrociously poor.
>>
Yeah you'll be fine. But I was taking Multivariable calculus and linear algebra senior year so what do i know
>>
>>8050945
>>8050957

I was in a similar position as you OP (american computer engineering student here). I was great at math as a kid but fucked around and stopped trying/got depressed, barely passed precalc in high school with a D. Placed into the calc prep class for college, but took a summer course thing to start college at calc 1 with the other kids.

Had a really rough time catching up in calc 1 and the start of calc 2, but I worked hard and it finally clicked in calc 2. I ended up loving multivariate, diffeq, signals & systems, and now I'm working on my math minor.

Lessons learned:

1. If you are behind, you need to work literally twice as hard as you think you need, in order to catch up. You don't have free time any more until you are getting 95%+ on your exams. This summer will be the last big chunk of free time you'll have for a long time. Have fun, don't get me wrong...but don't waste it. Practice is everything in math. Intuition helps but it just isn't going to get you there alone.

2. If you don't place into Calc 1 for college, do everything you can to test out and start college normally. Your schedule is going to be fucked forever until you fix that shit. You aren't going to be able to do anything until you understand calc 2 inside and out. Other anon is 100% right.

GL man
>>
>>8050945

LOL you really think you are THAT behind? Is it really going to bother you knowing you'll be a semester behind your peers?

Why is infinitesimal age difference insecurity such a thing on /sci/? You autist are excellent at self comparison
>>
Don't worry about being a semester behind OP.

Also don't be ashamed to be honest about where you are in your high school mathematical career. It has no real baring on where you will be in 2 years.

I used to be an art major (Graphic Design). Didn't pan out for me so now I'm going to Georgia Tech for Electrical Engineering. Just finished up the semester with:
Linear Algebra
Calculus III
Differential Equations
Physics I
Mathematical Proofing Class.

Biggest thing is that you are able to handle the stress of your chosen major. I have no doubt that you will excel in mathematics, but at some point you have to convince yourself that you will succeed. Math is easy..Engineering is hard.
>>
File: Impressive.png (186 KB, 457x303) Image search: [Google]
Impressive.png
186 KB, 457x303
>>8050945
This is shockingly similar to me OP, in Precal right now, and bored as hell. Try self studying, I've been studying Calc 1 independently for the last month or so, it's going well (I think), just focus and stay interested. It's not hard to... It's Calculus, it's fun. Lol.

Also, I'm pursing Electrical Engineering as well...
I'm rooting for you anon.
Good luck.
And have fun.
>>
>>8050945
>Hs
>career
Idiot
>>
>>8053496
He apologized for poor English you doofus
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.