[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dr. Sylvester James Gates, Jr. Theoretical Physicist PhD.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 7.James_Gates_Nova.jpg (32 KB, 606x341) Image search: [Google]
7.James_Gates_Nova.jpg
32 KB, 606x341
>Dr. Gates, is an American theoretical physicist, known for work on supersymmetry, supergravity, and superstring theory.

Thoughts on Dr. Gates's work /sci/?
>>
>>8047586
He's a great supporter of the simulated universe theory, he's working with other great minds to prove it true. Brilliant man, my role model.
>>
It's super
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 234x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 234x215
>>8047591
I love this guy
>>
>>8047586
He has discovered watermelonium?
>>
>>8047653
This is better:
>Sylvester James Gates, Jr. has a number of "firsts" to his name. His doctoral dissertation at M.I.T. was the first ever at that university on supersymmetry. In 1994, he became the first recipient of the American Physical Society's Edward A. Bouchet Award, given to a minority physicist who has made significant contributions to his field. And when in 1998 he was named the first John S. Toll Professor of Physics at the University of Maryland, he became the first African-American to hold an endowed chair in physics at a major U.S. research university. Here, Gates talks about firsts he hopes to see in string theory, including the first signs of supersymmetry and perhaps of that most elusive beast—a unification of the four forces of nature.

More here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/view-gates.html
>>
>>8047586
Smart guy. Although his current work is more math than physics. Pretty much just representation theory of superalgebras.
>>
I see him on Nova all the time
>>
He's pretty cool.
>>
>>8047916
That's not entirely true, this paper is in hep-th, http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0408004v1.pdf, and though it is quite maths-y he definitely had physics in mind. They spend a while on gauge invariance, and don't worry much about rigour.
It just feels like a physics paper, you know?
>>
>>8048143
Thats from 2004. I mean obviously all his work is motivated by physics, but most of it is not directly physics.
i.e. like this
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1409.4445.pdf
>>
>>8048143
Whats a the minimum background on must have to even begin to understand this paper. It all seemed like made up words to me

I stopped at multivariable calc btw
>>
>>8049236
All words are made up. It makes communication faster.
>>
>>8049237
Dude it seems like it

But seriously though wtf kimd of trainimg do you need
>>
File: pol.jpg (260 KB, 1062x341) Image search: [Google]
pol.jpg
260 KB, 1062x341
Isn't this the guy talking about simluated reality ? He said he found proof of the mechanics of a reality simulation in computers or something.
>>
>>8049240
>seems like it
That's literally how words work; we make them up and assign whatever meaning we care about. I'm not familiar with the paper, just saying words being made up is a cross-discipline constant.
>>
>>8049245
Someone OD'd on faggot flakes this morning.

>>8049240
>>8049236
The paper looks relatively self-contained if you have a solid field theory background. It's usually only assumed physics students who take up a good course on field theory have a solid understanding on linear algebra (w/r/t linear operators, vector spaces), differential operators, complex variables including integration, and some basic exposure to abstract algebra or at least group theory.

Any decent course on field theory will introduce you to the applications of group actions on sets, representations, Lie algebras, Grassmann (anti-commuting) variables, and then the noteworthy 'tricks of the trade.'

The math used isn't the toughest thing to follow, it's trying to pin down the physics or motivation. That part isn't obvious to me at all, but it's probably because I'm not an expert in supersymmetry.
>>
>>8047586
Clearly just a talking monkey. Some leftist does all the work for him and he just speaks from a prompt
>>
>>8047591
Beat me to it
>>
ayyy physics dudes, halp a brother out (shameless promoting)

>>8050330
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.